Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

played some cool basses today (warrior, roscoe, zon, elrick)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jun 8, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    drove 2 hrs north to electric city music in Kaukauna, WI - the place i bought my old Thumb NT from new 4 years ago.

anyway, here were the test subjects.

[​IMG]
    my favorite bass of the day. the action was ridiculously low, and with the speed ramp it felt like i wasn't doing anything. unfortunately, the 36" scale length kept tripping me up (as well as the 6th string) but the thing still played great. the tone was probably my 2nd favorite of the day because it was all bridge pickup :)

[​IMG]

had a chunkier neck than i thought it would, but was lots of fun to play. i expected it to have some vic wooten vibe going on (i mean - it's essentially a vic wooten sig bass with barts) but it honestly didn't come close. the pickups were too close to the neck to get any of the sizzle/growl and i think barts just don't do it either.

[​IMG]

felt really familiar towards the nut compared to my warwick - but the right hand was very uncomfortable for me. i think it was a combination of pickups being in wierd spots (for me) and the string spacing didn't seem to change much from the nut to the bridge. was very loud acoustically, but i felt it seriously lacked growl when amplified. it was all bass and treble.

i don't have a picture of the roscoe i played, it was a 4 string that, again, played great but didn't have the tone i was looking for. i also totally didn't dig the super glass polish body.

nor do i have a picture of the warrior i played (purple heart top, bolt on, one MM5 pickup) and i didn't even bother plugging it in - there were some serious construction poopers on this thing and it just didn't feel right.

so there's one other bass that i played that i liked the tone of more than any of these basses....

a 4 string warwick corvette standard with active pickup upgrade. it killed every other one of these basses tone wise (IMO) nothing came close to the growl or definition that this bad boy contained.

so here are my non-final unofficial conclusions:

every bass i've played (today and previously) with barts had lots of deep bass and a very modern sound (scooped and warm) but had no growl. but - they all also had pickups far away from the bridge, which is the #1 factor in determining how an instrument sounds. the only bass with barts i've ever liked is the ibanez gary willis sig - and that things pickup is near the bridge.

it's too bad i'm hooked on the warwicks tone - because that elrick KILLED. i know he could make me something i'd be happy with, but why bother when i could get a warwick that will make me just as happy for cheaper?

wow...that ish was long.

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    WHY, oh why did you not tell your fellow Wisconsinites that you were taking the trip? Im like, a half hour drive...damn you. I was just up there last week but I only spent a little bit of time there. I could have really used another trip. ;)

Well I hope YOU had fun...;) :D

Oh yeah, that stores great isnt it!?!? I love the CS there.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sorry!!! it was totally a last minute thing me and my roommate decided to do!

but yeah, that store rapes all the madison music stores mike tyson style. they have a little less selection than the madison stores but i think the average price of the basses there is about 10x the basses in madison.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Heh, I love reading about gear shootouts almost as much as I love doing 'em. Nice post!

Interesting that you say barts are scooped... I've always considered them very flat. But now that I think of it: given your preference for Warwicks, I would argue that *any* other system will sound scooped to your ears. Try an EMG-loaded bass sometime! :)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What Fuzzbass said. Barts are about the farthest thing from scooped around IMO.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you know, it just may be that my ears aren't refined enough to hear it - but every bart equipped bass i've played - the roscoe, the zon, the elricks, laklands, moduli, etc...all sounded really similar. i heard a bigger difference in tone between my thumb and my SS2 than i did the lakland and the zon.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The differences are pretty blatant on my Bart basses. The Elrick fretless has a full, upright-ish sound, the Lakland very neutral, the Roscoe 7 sounds almost like a bass synth on the low end and a really nice guitar on top. The Zon Legacy fretless is very full and punchy. The MTD 635 sounds nothing like these basses.

I've never heard a Lakland sound like a Zon.

Some of this can be attributed to string choices, playing styles and in other folks cases, amp settings. I leave mine flat.

8. My Bart-equipped FBB sounds nothing like a Bart-equipped Modulus. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it must just be my ear then. (i left the amp - a SWR workingman 800 w/matching 8x10 - totally flat)

on the bart equipped basses i heard huge huge low end and a super high sizzle with punch but not any growl. the only way i could get that tone out of my ss2 is to cut the mids all the way and boost the highs and lows - that's why i refer to it as scooped to my ear, because it's the exact opposite of what i'm used to hearing.

i'm not saying i didn't hear a difference - of course i did. but that there was a definite "common tone" among all of them. i'm guessing that it's just because it's such a different sound than what i'm used to/like. i'm sure if i bought a bart equipped bass or spent some more time with a few the differences would be more than clear. they also all didn't have new strings - and who knows how long they've been on there. and i'm sure a better amp rig would bring out the individual characteristics.

10. Wow, that's really weird. I've never heard sizzle on any Bart-equipped bass I've ever played, even DarkMazda's Sonus Special 5 (admittedly with a dead battery).

Where are you setting the balance knob when you test a Bart-equipped bass? I can almost get a sound like that if I set the balance at center detent, but favoring either pickup switches almost immediately to a sound with lots of punch and growl and very little high-end clarity without boosting the controls.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my goodness, this guy's a beaut! :eek:

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey,

if the Barts didnt have the growl he normally likes, then it didnt. prolly not what you'd like to hear, but hey, guess we all werent there with him. then again with a name like "Warwick", he's prolly used to mucho amounts of growlly texture. besides, remember that dood "testing" the Epi and EA cabs saying they had "sterile" mids. different strokes for different folks...

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    tone is subjective... and thats ok with me. At least no one is starting any cat fights. ;) good review though. Pretty thorough imo