Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played some great basses today. Questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfman200, Mar 4, 2006.

1. So I went to Chuck Levin's Washington Music and played a whole bunch of basses. Unfortunately, I found one I really loved.;)

It was a 4 string Redwood Peavey Cirrus. It had the tones I was looking for a felt great, but of course it's way out of my price range. I was aiming for $500. However, I remembered when I got back that there's a cheaper line - Cirrus BXP. What are your experiences with it and why is it so much cheaper? Also, how do the Millenium basses compare?

I also stopped at another shop that had a G&L L2000 that was fantastic too. It didn't feel quite the same in my hands, but I might say that I loved the tones even more. I didn't have a lot of time to play it, but I was extremely impressed. This one was a pretty good price, but I just don't have much money to spend, so I would like to know how the Tribute bass version would differ/compare to the L2000.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    The Tribute is a GREAT value for the money. Punchy, cuts well and has a ton of tonal options.

3. You know, upon doing some research, I think I might have been playing a tribute, because it was somewhere around $700.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look for a Cirrus BXP. It is 90% of a USA Cirrus. The electronics are a bit different, but the biggest real difference is in the smaller quality touches, not the actual tone or playibility of the bass.

5. That's come good news, because this one's gonna be on my mind for a while now. Does anyone know the specific differences? I'm just surprised at the cost difference if the BXP's really do carry the Cirrus tone and feel.

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Definetly keep your eyes open on the used market.

Used, as new, Ciruss's can be had for around $700-$900 usually. A great deal.

7. I'm looking around to see what used BXP's go for, and I can't find anything. Basscentral and BassNW don't sell them, and neither does Chuck Levin's. Any other places to look?