played some sx basses this week

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 16, 2005.

1. and, well, they suck, i mean, it was totally uncomfortable, i felt more comfortable playing an old bass collection bass that was left hand cramped up so easily on those things, and it doesnt cramp up whats the deal with all the praise on them? are my standards just too high?......
  2. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    How many did you play, and where did you play them?

They could've been bad eggs with bad setups (or at least a bad setup).

Did you check how well the body resonated acoustically? That's what speaks quality of a cheap bass, the quality of the wood. Bad wood will sound bad when amplified and only decent with good p/ups, but good wood can sound decent with bad p/ups.
  3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I think the key phrase with SX basses is "for the price".
  4. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I went to GC today and played almost every Fender in there from the Mike Dirnt signature to Geddy Lee to standard MIM. My $89 SX P bass was easily as comfortable to play as any of them. Some people don't like the laquered neck of the SX but I actually do.

The tuners and pickup on the Fenders are better but most people even upgrade those further anyways, so essentially you're buying a good body and neck that is cheap and easy to upgrade. If you're expecting a $1000 bass you won't get it. But if you've played Fenders before I'm not sure why you'd dislike the SX so much because they are very smilar in feel, at least to me.
  5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I'd guess that if you don't like the feel of a Fender bass then you won't like the SX either. How did you like the Brice? :eyebrow:
  6. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Soryy do go off topic, but I saw the mention of the mike dirnt bass, and all I have to say is Yucky...very very yucky. It had no cut outs, it was so thick. And sounded so dull. Maybe it needed strings or something, but it was d-u-l-l. I dont even have a cute little saying, like it was like eating bread with out butter, thats nothing compared to how dull it was.

Anyways, carry on with the Sx basses....sorry once again
  7. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    A lot of people say the Aussie SXes must be different from the ones you get in America, because the ones down here appear to suck.
  8. I dont know man- I quiet like my essex, I mean it doesnt feel as good as my American Jazz, but it's still awesome for the price.

I would put it down to bad setup- I haven't setup my Essex, or put my new strings on it yet- but when I do it should have the making for a decent bass. Especially considering the cost.

Some like em- some dont...
  9. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    actually I really love the neck on my SX, and I am a new bassist having played guitar for years. Did have to cut down the nut slots considerably though and do a full setup
    Just down the road from you at Caves Beach, Heath. Where did you try out the SX's
  10. I think the key to the American SX's being so good is the fact that they are assembled at Rondo Music, and not at the factory in China (right?)
    Since Rondo has nothing to do with the SX basses/guitars that are seen in Australia, the build quality (or how well they are put together and set up) would be significantly lower.
  11. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Nope, they're done in China I think.

The key to American SX's being so good is quality control in China + Kurt's customer Service.
  12. i tried two of the '60's ones i think, one was surf green, and a pastel blue with the two pickup covers, an all black jazz with the cobra inlay and a p/j precision..

yo jeff, i tried them out at the quarry guitar shop at charlestown, and music solutions at warners bay...did you hear about muso's corner, burnt down yesterday :( all those stingrays and spectors :rollno: i was in there yesterday helping them move stuff and clean up, was pretty bad....if you go in the quarry, give the $350 bass collection bass a shot, its was better than the sx's IMO
  13. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    sorry to be a grouch, but it sounds like you already had your mind made up before you even laid your hands on it.

exactly! and oh $200 more than an SX..... buy and SX, upgrade the PU's, the bridge and tuners and you'll have one sweet bass.

also, why would you call it dull sounding? never heard anyone describe the tone of any bass as "dull".
  14. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Yeah heath , I got my SX from quarry shop soiled for $200.
    Quite happy with it after setup.
    Sorry to hear abut musos corner, how did it effect the drum shop upstairs? mick the owner is a friend.
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Hey Heath, maybe your hand cramps have something to do with your technique or hand size and not the bass ;).
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe theyre differnt in australia.

Or maybe you're different in australia :<
  17. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Maybe all the factory seconds and rejects go to Australia??? :eyebrow:
  18. well, its $350aus, the sx's i played were $ why buy a sx and spend all that money 'upgrading' it when i can buy a mexi fender for same price?
    well thats actually rather interesting, ive got a vantage vs696 electric guitar, japanese from the 70's, my hand doesnt cramp playing that, but my hand cramps when i play my guitarists usa custom shop ibanez hand cramps slowly when i play my p-bass with the samick neck and my mates Spector 5 string, but my my hand is fine with my jazz and with the kubicki and my old ATK, im not sure what it is....

the drum shop is fine, bit smokey, the amp room didnt get touched, but a few matons are ash now, same with that 50th anneversary strat they had in the case :(
  19. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Hey heath, I thought you told me you liked those sx's at quarry... You confuse me
  20. What's that supposed to mean, Fig?

SX basses in Australia are the same as they are in the states.
    And bassplayers in australia are the same as they are in the states, too.

Heath has an opinion, he's entitled to it.