Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played Strunal and Carl Robelli yesterday

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kingbrutis, Nov 21, 2004.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I know, I dont have an upright and want one bad. A new Sam Ash opened here in Phoenix so went on buy. They had 3 Robelli's(sam ash's house brand) on the floor. I don't know the models but.... The first one had a retail price of $2500 and was on sale for $1499. I didn't like the sound at all. It sounded very thin and weak. It looked like a carved top. Then a $2,000 on sale for $999. Thius one sounded beter. It had a deeper thud and sounded cleaner. Next a $1699 for $699. It sounded the best of the bunch. I was told it came from another store so it could and probley had a better setup than the others. There was a slight amount of wear under the E string. It sounded big and full. Then I played a Strunal. It was $1899 on sale for $999. It had a mellower sound to it. The neck felt better and smoother than the others. It looked like it was built pretty well. Again I don't know anything so take it for what it's worth. I have been looking at the Primas at Freedom, but could run down the street and play these. I know the Robelli basses get trashed alot. Again, it's not a us made Fender. Comments? Thanks Joe

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    I'm not sure who actually produces the Robelli, but if memory serves, they're re-labelled no-name imports, and the prices suggest that their origin may be one of the CCB factories. At the very least, Strunals enjoy a reputation for decent sound and good build quality... Of the bunch, and at $999, it's probably your best bet.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I had a Strunal for a while, and I thought it was a nice and well-built bass. Several other players had the same comments about it as well. Think mine was a 50/4. I'd consider it a step up from Kays, Engles, etc. due to the ebony fittings, nicer tuners, carved scroll.

4. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    That was the one I looked at. I called back and talked a salesman who plays in a psychobilly band. He was pretty honest with me. He told me it would be a good idea to get an adjustible bridge and it would need a good setup. He said he uses a place called the string shop in Phoenix. He said it would cost anywhere from $50-$200. He said the strings that are on it are pretty good. I was told it will probley be on sale Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. Mabey Santa will come earily. Anyway, feedback would help. MR Norton Do you have anything for me? Thanks Joe

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I would suggest going to Steve's joint in Phoenix (the String Shop) and looking at basses there and stay out of SamAsh/GuitarCenter/WorldOfMusic type stores.

6. Ed's right, I recently checked out the same basses at the local Sam Ash in Edison, NJ. The carved top Strunal was nice, the best of the bunch, what I could hear of it, over the punk music blasting throughout the store PA system. And the stone faced ambivilant sales staff completely ignored me . . amazing ! :rolleyes:

7. mister_k

mister_k

Jul 27, 2004
    Los Angeles

I know this is a little off topic, but everytime I run home to Philadelphia to visit my family, I routinely dip into Sam Ash to just move my fingers around on one of their cheapo basses specifically because they have never failed to completely ignore me. So I can go run through some excersizes in the quiet room with no worry of interuption. The instruments are horrible, and the customer service is regrettable at best, but it's a free on premises rental as I see it.
    Thanks, negligent sales staff!

K.

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I bought my Strunal from Stringbass.com (now defunct, I think) and when it arrived, it played and sounded much better than the same bass I've played in a Sam Ash (Chicago).

9. I'd say look at and play as many basses as possible, but if your price point is $1000.00 to $2000.00 go for the Strunal. I have a 5/35 hybrid and it sounds better all the time. I'd stay away from Sam Ash altogether, but if you do go there to buy, just inspect the bass really well. They have sold damaged and poorly repaired DB's as new without saying anything to the unsuspecting customer. But if the Strunal looks and sounds good, go for it and never return to Sam Ash again.

10. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Well, I played 2 Engelhardts($1600, $2000), a Shen($900) at the Bass place here in Phoenix and the Strunal. I found that I like the Engel the best. I like the thin flat neck. Plus the blond was just awesome looking. After playing for half an hour on the engel's, I feel this will be just too tough for me to learn right now. The feel of everything is, I dont know, just different. I know it will take alot of time to learn. I'm not giving up, just postponing buying an upright for the time being. Having a 3 month old and not alot of money is a bad combination. I think I am going to rent one from a local shop for a couple of months. I have found a teacher here on talk bass and hope I progress faster than normal. What do you think? Later Joe