Played the 5502 this week end

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Oct 20, 2002.

1. I got a chance to play my Lakland 5502 in a gig situation this weekend. I've been playing a MM SR5 and other 5 string basses for the past 6 years. The SR5 is the only bass I've been comfortable with during this period. I flat out like the tone of the Lakland better than the SR5. By better I mean I find it more satisfying. This tone actually caused me to play less instead of more. I was satisfied with fewer notes in a given groove. The 35" scale creates a somewhat different feel than a 34" I prefer the feel of the longer scale. It does however create a slightly longer stretch which did cause my left hand to feel slightly strained at times. At 52 I hope my left hand will get use to the longer stretch of the 35". The string spacing at the bridge is .75" as apposed to .66" with the SR5. This spacing seemed easier to slap and I found myself playing slap licks I hadn't played since I switched from 4 string to 5 string. Tone is a subjective thing and I can only say that I found the tone of the 5502 delicious. Using the 3 band pre-amp, PU blend,bridge PU selector, and varied left and position I was able to produce a tone for any song. So do I like the 5502? Absolutely :D
  2. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Nice report. I am happy with my 55-94 too for all the same reasons. I have long since converted to the 35" scale having played a Cirrus for over a year prior to the Lakland, but it was a noticeable stretch when I graduated from my SR5.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I still prefer not to have a 35" scale. It just doesn't feel right to me. I'm glad you're happy with the new bass. Keep thumpin'

4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    ooooohhhhh..... all you guys that are picking up 55-02's! I just put my conklin on ebay to fund my 55-02, which I hope to get by the end of Nov! It is an amazing bass, that continues to get glowing recomendations! I can't really remember hearing too many people speak badly of the bass. The 55-02 I get will look so nice next to my 55-01.... Maybe I'll get Dan Lakin to send me a pickguard.... hmmmmmmmmm.....

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The only thing I didn't like a lot were the nickel strings that came on mine. But that's such a personal taste thing and who knows how many times they'd been played in the store???

Have you decided where you like the dip switch set??? I've had my 55-02 since the first week of Jan. and I still fool around with it from time to time.
  6. The way it came sounds just fine to me. I think it is set with the mid point at 500. I looked at the switches and listened to their effect with a set of headphones on. I think I ended up leaving them where they came.