1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played the nicest Jazz bass today, but my least favorite color...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Been searching for a nice Jazz. I've mentioned this before but had a 2008 Road Worn, but didn't like the RW look. Just returned a NOS '15 American Standard in 3TSB that had a big hump int he neck and buzzed from the 9th fret up on every string. Have a G&L Tribute JB-2, but really want a Fender Jazz.

Played a black with maple Fender American Pro Jazz today that blew me away. Incredibly light, ridiculously resonant and the entire thing rumbles and vibrates no matter what string you're playing and felt amazing. Only one problem...I think the black with maple looks is just a bit boring and generic. Add on the fact that the necks on the American Professional necks aren't tinted, it looks even more cheap and generic. Thought about putting a 3-ply back pick guard on and classing it up a bit, but then think that looks a bit too "heavy metal".

I've been trying to convince myself that I'd be fine with black simply because this bass feels and plays so well. I've also tried to rationalize it by the fact that I'd prefer 3TSB, but literally every other guitar and bass I own aside from my SG is sunburst.

So do you guys thing I'm being nuts and superficial passing up a great player simply because of the color?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    bdplaid and Nunovsky like this.
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    nope! how you feel is the way i feel about 3TSB. i will never own one. in fact, i tried to dissuade my son from buying one with that finish, lol

Aaron Mc, MetsMan75, Tbone76 and 6 others like this.
  3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

For me color is less important than sound and feel.
    I know that's crazy talk around here but that's how I feel

4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    That's hilarious!

I've always played sunburst Teles, even as a kid when I was in punk bands, back in 90's when Teles weren't cool. Sounded killer through a 50watt JCM800 half stack. Both my Gibson acoustics are sunburst and so is my Classic 50's Precision.

5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    It's not all that crazy. I'm just trying to look past color because it played so well. It's not like it's neon pink or purple, right? I just always thought black was so boring.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Black is not my favorite guitar color but I always seem to wind up with them
    If they're good instruments then I can compromise

hufe, Tbone76, Ghastly and 4 others like this.
  7. I'd say that black/black maple is more 1970s than heavy metal... makes me think punk or Roger Waters. I think that's one of the best looks too, better than grandpaburst...

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Life is too short to be playing basses that you feel you have to settle for.

9. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    You guys are killing me! I thought 3TSB with tort was the defacto color combo around these parts!

I play a lot of old school country, alt-country, etc. these days. As dumb as it may sound, I just feel like sunburst "looks better" for that style, but yeah, the black/black combo may be growing on me!

woodyng2, wideload, Tom Bomb and 4 others like this.
  10. Personally for me also, I can overlook colour in terms of feel and sound. It's a tool ultimately

11. I settled for a finish I didn't like, for sound that I loved.

In my case, I kept looking, even though I had a sound I loved.

12. I will never own anything green. It hurts my eyes

noeinstein, HeavyJazz and ajkula66 like this.
  13. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    3f99b298-7de6-4279-a857-638c593a20f6.

14. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Would a white pearloid pickguard be different enough?

15. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Even uglier!

16. Bung on a fancy scratch plate, like a pearl or something?...would look beaut on black and maple!

17. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Well, your said normal black and maple was boring, so "ugly" solves your problem!

18. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Tort on black! Classy as all get out.

19. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Maybe one of those black pearl pickguards would look good to ya... maybe the neck cold be tinted, as well, but I don't know what it would take. Just throwing out some ideas. :)

since197three and wmmj like this.
  20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    "Grandpaburst," ouch. Pretty rich!