Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played the Squire Jazz today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Jun 15, 2001.

1. I was very surprised about a lot of things about this bass. One was the CAR finish, very sparkly and very nice. What I also like cosmetically was the chrome knobs and the 3 ply pickguard. I never got to plug it in (look below) but it felt very nice. My only complaint was the setup, serious buzzing going on, and the action wasnt even low, either a few high frets or a weird truss rod.

I played it at a Mars Music in an outdoor mall thing, and there were about 4 12 year olds playing various bassing through nice amps. It was obvious they didnt know what to do, and they were bassically playing open nots chords at a very high volume, not only that, but they were using the only 2 chords in the area. After about 5 minutes of playing the jazz, I complained to a worker and left.

Everyone should check out the new Squier Jazzes, they are very nice indeed.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I played one not long ago,and was impressed at how nice it was,especially for the price.This one looked pretty cool too,the head and body were bright Cobalt Blue,there was no pickguard(had a removable panel on the back to access the wiring)and(if memory serves me correctly)Chrome hardware.The out of the box setup on this one was imo better than most box stock Squiers Ive played,and what really impressed(shocked)me was the pickups didnt seem to hum(unlike my MIM Jazz).I might have to get me one of these........

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Squier.

4. DOH!

Thanks Munji