Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

played the sting bass last week

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by societysfinest, May 4, 2003.

1. I played the sting bass, and i dont know what came over me. I was not comfortable with this bass at all. I felt stuck on the fretboard. I couldnt move my hands or fingers with ease on this thing. felt like it was holding me back and making my playing suck.What does anyone else think?

2. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I think I know what you're talking about. I bought a Sting bass at Mars Music when they were going out of business and prices were slashed. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

That was months ago. It had been collecting dust compared to my other instruments. It recently occured to me that I'd never break in the neck that way, so I started forcing myself to play it.

The glossy finish on the back of the neck sticks to my skin and keeps me from sliding up and down. Working on it, being persistant, will wear it away.

They market this thing with very thick gauged strings which, I think, are ill-suited for a neck with such tiny fret wire. I strung it up with a set of light gauge strings and what a world of difference!!!

For more melodious compositions, the Sting bass could easily become my main stick.

Wear down that gloss, replace the strings, and I think you'll like it much better.

3. Rule #1 it is not a bass guitar.
    Don't try to play it the same way.
    Spend some time on the DB side of TB to find more info.

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    That's funny!

Sting bass, not string bass.:D

5. Yea, i played this thing like 2 weeks ago in a Sam Ash and i couldnt get comfortable with it at all. The neck felt too big and bulky for me..... Probably cuz its a '53 or something, i have no clue. But dont worry, you're not the only one who doesnt find it very pleasing.

6. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Maybe that was aimed at me? :D

7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    "Rule #1 it is not a bass guitar.
    Don't try to play it the same way.
    Spend some time on the DB side of TB to find more info."

to which I replied:
    "That's funny!
    Sting bass, not string bass."

String bass=double bass
    Sting bass=Old P-bass

gruffpuppy was a little confused, I suppose.:D

8. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
  9. Maybe it's because sting is evil, sorry if I offended anyone, but I don't like that guy. That's just IMO of course....

10. Well there is a change of pace. ;)
    Well if any of you pick up a string bass remember what I said darn it!

Sting also played DB. Might have just been for that video.

11. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Gruffpuppy,

For what it's worth, I agree wholeheartedly, double bass has little to do with "toy" bass, :bag: except for the tuning.
    LM

12. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i too made a mistake thinking the person said one thing when in actuality i did'nt read the post CAREFULLY and then ended up putting my foot in my mouth(yeuuuuuck! )now back to the STING RE-ISSUE 51 FENDER PRECISION BASS its a nice bass w/ a really glossy neck, you can take some 300 grade sanDpaper and go over the back of the neck(its so fine it does'nt leave ANY scratches,lines or swirls in the finish. the bass sounds great but i cant get used to the old style pick-ups,theres not enuff meat on them for me to use it as a thumb rest like i do in my regular p/bass:mad: i cant get used to it no matter how i position my finger. Other than that it does sound big and brite for having the old style pick-up on it. I BET IF I TRIED HARD ENUFF I COULD BET USED TO IT:bassist:

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    > STING RE-ISSUE 51 FENDER PRECISION BASS

It's a '54RI, not a '51.

Fender has advertised it as a '53, but they're wrong and have admitted it. Sunburst contoured Precision Bass bodies didn't come along until '54. This bass bears little true resemblance to the one Sting uses, BTW.

This was originally merely the same bass Fender Japan was selling there as a straight '54 reissue, but they added the stupid "STING" 12th fret inlay and put a cheaper pickup on it and exported it to the US, per FMIC bright idea.

The real problem with the '54RI/"Sting" (as well as the '51RI) is the bridge. All other problems are trivial compared to that.

Currently, my Sting is my #1 bass, but I can understand why someone would have problems with it if he were used to more modern designs.

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had the same problem with resting my thumb on the pup.
    At a gig the pickup disintergrated under my thumb, Oooops, I put in a duncan 1/4 pounder and it seems to stand up a little better, I also thought about mounting the pup cover on the bass but I like the sound of playing right over the pup.
    I love mine it has huge tone and I like the glossy feel to the neck but to each there own,

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, people get all bent out of shape at me when I tell them they can't put their thumbs on the pickups on the Stings and '51RIs without eventually wrecking them. Like it's my fault.

"Kill the messenger," y'know. Idiots...:meh:

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I solved this problem also by dropping in a American Deluxe string through bridge, Dropped right in and it plays awesome and itonates perfect.

17. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I commented on this way back, a few weeks after the sting bass was released.
    The one I tried was truly awful.
    I couldn't find anything that was right with it.
    If I were Mr Sting I'd think about sueing Fender for putting my name on such a piece of C**p!
    :eek: