1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played this (big) venue last night

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Moley13, Jun 26, 2014.

1. DSC_1014.JPG

I expect this is the most people I've played to so far...

What are some big places you've played? With pictures of course!

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Too bad more people didn't show up.

Barbo, joebar, repoman and 9 others like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

That looks like a nice hall. I hope you had a great gig.

I occasionally get back together with my old band, "The Runnin' Kind", to play a Patsy Kline tribute show. We play the Redlands Bowl during the summer. It's one of the bigger venues I play. There are probably 4000 or so in the audience.

(I apologize for the size of the pictures. Please be patient while they load.)

Patsy-Cline-Tribute-1_1000.

P8030061.

People fill the bleachers and also bring their lawn chairs for the sides and back.

P8030062.

It's a cool old amphitheater, built in the '30s.

P8030065.

P8030063.

These folks really love their Patsy Kline.

P8030078.

P8030079.

We'll be playing there again the middle of August. Nancy Walker is the performer. She does a great job, especially when she goes totally Patsy.

patsy-nancy-cliff.

She knows the complete history of Patsy's career and tells a nice story of her life between numbers. It's a pleasure working with her.

On a side note, my family got to perform once at the Ryman Auditorium.

P6070060.

Of course there was nobody there, but it was fun! ;)

P6070081.

I'll try to find pictures of my other bigger gigs. They are almost as much fun as the smaller gigs. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    slavetothegrind and StuartV like this.
  4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Literally LOL!

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    This is a video of me and my singer/songwriter partner playing to a full house at Infinity Music Hall in Norfolk CT. A beautiful venue in the foothills of the Berkshire mountains.

And a picture of the hall ...

[​IMG]

6. Turkeypills

Turkeypills

Nov 8, 2012
    St. Louis
    The largest venue I have played(bass) at was my high school theater which seats around 600 people. If we want to count public performances in general, then the largest venue would be the "new" Dallas Cowboys stadium. The most people I have performed for hits around 87,000. Those last two mentions were as part of a large University marching band.

BassCliff likes this.
  7. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    played the park west last night in Chicago. opening for Robert Randolph & the family band.

bottomend! and lokikallas like this.
  8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I didn't realize we could talk about marching band! When in college I marched in the Rose Bowl. Actually it was the Junior Rose Bowl for the junior college football national championships. But that was a fun halftime show to play in such a huge stadium. Sorry, I don't have any pictures either. ;)

BassCliff

Turkeypills likes this.
  9. Some of the metal fests in europe are in pretty good size venues, this is one of the ones we've played several times:

crowd%20in%20germany%202.

not sure how many people, but it was a lot and we sold a ton of merch.

10. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Rockin' Thunderchief and beautiful venue.

11. Hahahahahaha, good call. This was, of course, at the sound check :)
    I didn't get a chance to take photos while I was playing... For obvious reasons! Playing there again tonight, I'll see if there are any photos from Thursday night.

StuartV likes this.
  12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Strangely enough, my biggest gigs have been with my work band at my company's kickoffs/customer events. We have played to 3000 people in Mexico, 1500 in Montreal, 2000 in Vegas and just under 1000 in Anaheim.

My biggest regular gig is an outdoor Canada Day event that my main band plays every year. Usually 500-600 people. It is next Tuesday this year.

13. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    We played an American Legion Hall once... :woot:

BassCliff likes this.
  14. FutureTense

FutureTense Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    We play the Mississippi Valley Fair every year. The tent is pretty packed, and there are a ton lining up around the outside as well. Here's a couple photos, though they don't really do it justice. Fair. Fair2.

BassCliff likes this.
  15. DocGeorge

DocGeorge Gold Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Indio, CA
    Now that's a party!

Confused why there is some dude wearing full body yellow spandex suit, daisy duke's, and a straw hat though...

16. Turkeypills

Turkeypills

Nov 8, 2012
    St. Louis
    That is a party indicator.

BassCliff, I marched from 2006-2010 for the University of Missouri. I have some pictures but what is even more cool is a throw rug I have that my fraternity (KKPsi) had made with an aerial(helicopter) shot of the band spelling "MIZZOU" mid pregame at the 2006 matchup between Nebraska and MU. We utterly dominated that game and now I can forever point to a splotch on a throw rug and say, "that's me".

BassCliff likes this.
  17. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

We kicked off our summer concert series with a show in a softball field. There must've been three or four thousand people there. You can see the full gig report HERE.

KRB-Carlsbad-062714-013.

KRB-Carlsbad-062714-017.

KRB-Carlsbad-062714-038.

KRB-Carlsbad-062714-042.

KRB-Carlsbad-062714-041.

KRB-Carlsbad-062714-047.

Hey, I know Mr. malthumb has played stadiums. Maybe he's been busy and hasn't noticed this thread. Break a leg!

BassCliff

18. jazzbill

jazzbill

Jun 4, 2010
    Richardson, TX
    We opened for Merle Haggard at Southern Junction a big honky tonk just outside of Dallas recently. IMG_0255.JPG

BassCliff likes this.
  19. FutureTense

FutureTense Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    It is always an incredible time. Definitely an experience worth having.