Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played Three Basses today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Jan 15, 2005.

1. I played three basses today. They were:

1) Line 6 variax Bass (£995)
    2) Fender MIM 5 string jazz (£399)
    3) Epiphone T-bird (£299)

I played each one for a good 45 minutes each. This is what each made me think...

The line 6. Brilliant idea, fantastic build quality. Heres the catch: each of the models that are covered don't sound too much like the originals. Even with the onboard eq set flat, and the amp's eq flat. The neck was not very nice either. The edges were very sharp, making it uncomfortable, and my MIM jazz felt nicer. The action was very high, making slap hard, so I can't really comment on that sound.

The MIM Fender Jazz V I thought had the best feel and second best sound. The build quality and setup was of a decent nature. The action was much lower than the line 6, but not quite as well built. My gripe is that the B string was very floppy, not enough tension. The neck felt beefy, but there is 25% more string than the others, but was surprisingly very shallow.

The T-bird wowed me with the tone, and what wowed me even more was the weight. Very light, but all the weight was in the headstock. The body edges were not contoured, and were not so uncomfortable I couldn't play, but I knew they were there. The build quality was OK, but where the fingerboard did over lap the body, there was a 1/4 inch gap, like the neck was too deep to fit in. The pickups are amazing to my ears. Power, presence and punch. the bridge pickup had bags of growl, and the neck had a softer side to it. Overall, a good bass for the money.

2. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    The only thing about the epiphone is the neck, other than that its a great bass for the money, I got my buddy to make me a maple firebird neck for mine and now it sounds and plays alot better.