Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played through a Fender Bassman last night!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jul 1, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was at my local GC killing time, and saw they has an old Bassman with the matching 2x15. I quickly plugged in a Pbass, and turned the amp on. WOW!! thats what I said when i heard the tone I was getting....very tubie, warm, not alot of low end but enough to say yeah I feel it, nice mids, and for the high well this isn't an amp you would use for slapping. The best part is that they are selling it ...Head and Cab for $900!!!

2. What model bassman?

3. simon

simon

May 19, 2004
    Netherlands
    i'm the proud owner of a silverface fender bassman 70 from the early 80's, with a 2x15 speaker enclosure :smug: .unfortunately the thing broke down a week ago (four tubes AND both speakers died :crying: ) but still... :rolleyes:

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    it's a Silver face late 60's........MMMMMM only if I had money :bawl:

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I guess I'm just a young guy in love with the old sound :D

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    anyone else into old Bassman tube amps and cabs? :meh:

7. My current "tiny club" rig is a silver face Bassman with a 1 X 15" JBL loaded compact cabinet. My first "good" amp was a black face 1964 Bassman that I bought used in 1965! At that time, the amp and matching 2 X 12" cabinet (with tilt back legs) cost me $150.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I LOVE the old Bassman amps. Many years ago at a garage jam I used a silverface through the 2x15 and got killer tubey growl. Last year when my band recorded a demo I went through a pre-CBS blackface into a single 15" and got nice warm tubey goodness (lower volume, so not so much overdrive this time). At quiet rehearsals with my country/blues band I often use the guitarist's blackface Dual Showman and that sounds great through a fifteen.

Now, I wouldn't ... that is, I *couldn't* gig with one, because they do not have enough power. But they sound fantastic, if you happen to like that sound and don't need a lot of volume!

9. the trick is to have alot of them. when i play in my "spaceprogressiverockband" i use a 70´s bassman100 with 2x15 plus an ampeg V4 with 4x12 and sometimes even an FBT bass50 (valve) with another 2x15. all amps cranked upp really high- it gets pretty loud and i just love that sound!

10. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I love my 410 bassman. FOR GUITAR!!! They're way better guitar amps than bass amps. And they are great bass amps.

11. yes, i have to agree on that one too.

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    If you are checking out the tone of the large Fender Bassman cabs from back in the day, give a 4X12 Bassman from the mid 70's a listen. I've been using them for a long time for thick,rich, thumpin booty.And it will even handle a low B. There's one for sale at Low Down Sound in Detroit and they've got a picture of it on their website.
    Rezdog

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My first amp was a '65 Bassman 50 with a Fender 212 cab. It sucked royally to my ear, and I was almost glad when it got stolen. It began to fart at very low volume. Someone must have stuck some Eden guts in the one you played. Sorry.

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    thanks Rezdog...what head are you using with the 4x12 right now?

15. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Ampeg SVP PRO pre into a Carvin DCM1000 or just a R1000. Either one can power two 4X12 Bassman's which is really overkill. I used to run two cabs with an early SVT and that really kicked too. Thick,rich tone and thump. You will not be disappointed.
    Happy Times
    Rezdog

16. Yeah I love them. Here's a pic of my 1971 Bassman 50 export with a home built 2x12 stereo cab I made. Fat sound with a lot of growl!

[​IMG]

:cool:

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

One person's fart is another person's growl. The old SF Bassman I played through did fart, but it was a lovely warm growly fart... think Grand Funk Railroad Live. The amp was a one-trick pony, but it was a helluva trick.

18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Bassmaniac do you use yours alot? how loud are you able to get with it?

19. the 100w model i use to play with can get quite loud if you don´t mind distortion but with a kind of weak and sometimes thin bottom. a 70´s ampeg V4B (100w) is much louder or stronger sounding to my ears. ok to tell you the truth it can´t handle a low E if the volume isn´t quite low, that said doesn´t meen it sounds bad. it´s just a mather of taste and some people hate when an amp farts-out like that but i dont mind it that much as it´s not my main amp.

20. I use it to practice on and for medium volume band practices. I just love that vintage sound.
    I get a fair amount of volume out of it because the speakers I'm using are pretty efficient ( 98db I think ). Doesn't have enough volume to compete with a loud drummer and guitarist though. I tried it on a large gig as a monitor once ( with it miked through the PA ) but couldn't hear myself very well.

I find you get the best sound with these using passive basses, actives are too hot for the input on these amps. That could probably be easily fixed by changing a resistor or two though.
    With a P-bass I'm in tone heaven. :D