Played through Bose cylindrical radiator system tonight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MtnGoat, Jan 11, 2006.

1. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    I was on a gig sponsored by Bose tonight. The entire band played through the Cylindrical Radiator loudspeakers and it was pretty cool. For our 5 piece band there were 4 cylinders on stage, 2 subs on stage ands 4 subs at the side of the stage. We would have used 5 cylinders, but not enough stage space. We played to a medium sized room and I plugged my basses (EUB and electric) into a Raven Labs line mixer then into the Bose input. The Bose system has a preset to make that particular channel sound more like a bass amp. Although I wasn't entirely thrilled with the sound I got from the preset, overall the system sounded great. I could hear the kick drum very clearly and the harmony vox very well. The only problem was getting the lead vocal loud enough to sit on top of the band during loud songs--she has a very quiet voice. In the future if I play through one of these systems I will use my amp head for tone shaping before sending to the Bose towers.
    Check em out if you have a chance.
  2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Good thing it's not important to hear the lead vocals...
  3. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    This was no fault of the Bose system as it was just like any other PA system--it's difficult to crank the gain on the mic enough so a quiet voice can be heard without feedback. When the band reduced its volume, everything was great. Another great advantage is that I could hear the BGVs very well, where usually I don't hear them at all on stage.
  4. jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    They could never be cool enough to warrant that outrageous price!
  5. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i played with one of those Bose line array towers with a sub at a coffe house. good for that. Nice mix, clear sound from everyone.

We used it for a slightly larger rock based gig (still not near 200 people) and it was exceedinly unimpressive in terms of vocal clarity and volume. I am not sure if this is the same product you are talking about or not.