Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

played two basses i hadn't before (passive warwick and g&l 2000)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jul 31, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    went to music go round cos i was bored just now, here's what i played.

first up - a g&l L2000, ash body, quilt top, rosewood board. i was really impressed with the amount of variation you could get even though i had forgotten what everything did. (i thought the two 3 position switches were series/parallel/single coil and the 2 position was for bright...doh!) but i could get everything from a P-bass thump to J bass tone to some serious growl (and that's the most important thing in a bass for me!!!) neck was a "smidge" on the big side for me for a 4 string, but nothing outrageous, and felt great. i think this MAY have replaced the jazz bass desire i had :)

but...i found my NEXT 4 string. they had a 97 Warwick Corvette Standard. passive pickups. this thing just had it. it sounded remarkably similar to my ss2 in passive mode (a little less bright, less low end, and less sustain) but it was listed for 650 bucks!!! i know i can do even better than that on ebay for one with passive pickups, and this one was kind of beat. but i was truly amazed how good it felt. it had the jazz bass tone i was looking for!

whee. so, anyone want to buy my musicman?!

2. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    yO-g-BrAatzzz!

Congrats on the new 'wick discovery. Good luck with the G&L in the future too, its hard to get leo out of your blood isnt it? ahh home sweet home.

3. Just a little refresher course for those G&L switches (going from neck -> bridge):
    1.) 3-position pickup switch: neck / both / bridge
    2.) 2-position series / parallel: Series is towards the neck I believe. Parallel would then obviously be towards the bridge. :D
    3.) 3-position preamp switch: active with treble boost / active / passive

I'm pretty certain those are all correct (I don't tend to do too much switching around with my G&L). I definitely agree that the G&L is a wonderfully versatile beast, and I really like mine. After checking out an F Bass today, I'd have to say it definitely beats the pants off of the G&L for overall quality, versatility, and usable tones. Of course for more than twice the price, it should!

I think someone's got an L-2000 up in the for sale section looking for a trade on a Musicman. You might want to look into that. I'm glad you discovered the greatness that is G&L. I'm seriously looking into getting an F Bass now, but I can't foresee ever getting rid of my beloved G&L.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yup - i remembered as soon as i looked at the brochure when i left :(

and i already PM'd KB about his G&L, but the moses neck turned him off. totally don't blame him, it's pretty out of the ordinary. i tried to get the guys at music go round to swap me the Corvette for my Musicman and got denied. (they said they'd credit me $400 for it - which is BS considering that corvette was marked at 650 with a little crack in the body, pickups had a decent amount of wear, the tone control felt like it was about to fall apart, and it was DIRTY.) i'm starting to think of trying it on ebay, or getting a new MM neck for it. but the body isn't in great shape either so i don't know if it'd be worth it.....

and da5id, i'm still bitter i didn't get that LX :D :mad: ;) i've never seen one like that used for sale before, and i really hope one pops up in a few months because i don't want to go new for anything other than an SS1 4 string :( down with ovangkol.

5. :(

Well, at least I was able to keep that bass in the TB family. I certainly hope something turns up for you, bro. I really wish I could please everyone. (There would be a smiley here, but I got the "too many images" error and didn't want to destroy the original quote.)