1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played what the guy said was a pre-CBS p-bass today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ampslut, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    This place is in the middle of WV and the guy handles some pretty cool vintage guitars and basses. He claimed that it was built the last year before CBS bought out Fender. Anyway with was alempic white and had some pretty nice patina. It sounded like no other bass I've played to date. Full, rich, and warm. Price tag was $7,999.00 which is a good price if it is what he says it is. (I think)

Bassist30 likes this.
  2. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Trust but verify.

nomaj, downunder, dbsfgyd1 and 5 others like this.
  3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    $8000 ....well if that is what makes you happy.....Find out more about it

catcauphonic, rollie 55 and Ampslut like this.
  4. It’s hard for me to wrap my mind around the vintage market from a musicians perspective.
    I understand that there are limited quantities, I understand the build quality was better pre cbs and I understand the nostalgia. It’s just really hard for me to put 8k into an instrument that is better done by a ton of builders now for, at the very high end (Fodera/mtd/etc), half of that price.

5. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    If you can afford it , go for it.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Pics - serial number, pots, tuners, pup, etc.

downunder, jamro217, Helix and 3 others like this.
  7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    A pre-CBS Olympic White would most likely have a matching headstock.

For $8K - which is not a horrible price IF the bass is *all original* - I'd be verifying every single screw, nut, bolt and solder joint.

Good luck.

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    On a Jazz Bass yes. On a P Bass no.

9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Ampslut :)

For $8k I would need more than just a claim! :D

What about a proof? ;)

greetings

Wise(b)ass

10. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Each instrument is unique of course, and comparisons are not always meaningful but I can tell you that my 1962 Fender Jazz, purchased about five years ago for ~5K is overall a better sounding and feeling instrument than my Marleaux Contra, purchased about four years ago for nearly twice that. If I could only keep one of them it would be the Jazz.

joker820 and Williethump like this.
  11. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    All depends on what stiffness your linguini. Same reason some people shell out big money for a vintage Chevy Corvette - an uncomfortable, poor handling, eminently impractical rocket on wheels.

Wisebass, murphy, Mertle72 and 6 others like this.
  12. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Does pre CBS mean Leo himself may have had a hand in making it?

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I know people like to think that. But the shop had lots of workers by the 60's.

joker820, Machiavelli and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    any pictures?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I doubt he had much actual "hands on" role for ANY production instruments.

TrustRod, gebass6, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  16. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Such an instrument has value beyond just being an instrument (It’s not an $8,000 bass because it’s necessarily the best bass one could buy for their money, it’s worth $8,000 because in the future it will be worth $10,000 - and counting).

Completely aside from that, it may very well be, as Ampslut reports, a great instrument.

FWIW, the best Strat I’ve ever played, by far, was a pre-CBS Strat, and the best Tele I’ve ever played, by far, was a pre-CBS Tele. Both were played into silverface amps (a Dual Showman Reverb and a Pro Reverb, respectively). Wow. Just wow. Mind blowing

joker820, DJ Bebop and ajkula66 like this.
  17. Thanks for your opinion on the pre CBS P! I've often wondered what the fuss was about. That said, full, rich and warm are qualities I admire too. You can usually get just that by adjusting your EQ with carefull selection of pickups and strings, and save $8K.

TrustRod, gebass6, dbsfgyd1 and 3 others like this.
  18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yep, I've done it since the time pre-CBS were just used basses sold cheap to now with cobbled together DIYs made of parts from different brands. My dispassionate experience tells me there's no magic inherent to instruments from any era.

TrustRod, Ikkir, Williethump and 3 others like this.
  19. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb

Nov 12, 2014
    Midwest USA
    The average 2010s fender usa precision bass is better built than a vintage p bass from the 50s or 60s. It's even been confirmed that fender was using whatever wood they could get back then. From a collector's view i completely understand but from a musicians view vintage doesn't make any sense, specially if you're a working musician.

20. I'm fortunate to live here in Nashville, where I could have a prospective purchase appraised and verified at Gruhn's, Carter's, etc., before I laid down 8 grand.

I would hope you have the option of doing the same should you want to go ahead with this.

DJ Bebop likes this.