played with a Russian drummer last night

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by azureblue, Sep 19, 2021.

1. A fill in gig, and the drummer kept pushing the tempo. Kind of like a reverse Rolling Stones - he'd speed up every time we hit the guitar solos. Like every time he played a roll around he would come out ahead of the beat. The band was clueless about it. I tried for the first set to hold him back, but the band leader told me I was dragging. Fine. Not gonna argue. Also I am not going to fill in for your band again...

Mr_Moo, Barry Vestal, Mili and 20 others like this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Speeding up to get to the end of a guitar solo faster...not entirely a bad idea, though, is it?:)

3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Was his name Alexei?

Fretless1! likes this.
  4. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    In Russia you don't fire the drummer, the drummer fires you!

5. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    upload_2021-9-19_11-21-1.png

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Was he was rushin' Russian drummer?

Ampslut, Relsom, inthevelvet and 14 others like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah, as much as it can be a struggle, when you fill in, you ride along with them wherever they go (musically speaking).

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    When I drum, if I'm not using a click, I rush fills as well

But I'm not a drummer. Just a bassist that plays drums.

Gustopher and BBQisgood like this.
  10. Ggaa

Ggaa Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Almost as bad as playing with a Dragon.

11. Blues Daddy

Blues Daddy

Jul 1, 2016
    Over the years that I played with various different "weekend warrior" bands (non-pro), I've shared the stage with plenty of drummers that surprised me with how 'bad' their timing was . . . so I found myself sometimes playing intentionally either slightly ahead of the beat if the drummer was dragging, or slightly behind the beat if he/she was rushing. I almost always eventually just swallowed my pride and gave in to match the drummer's tempos because:
    1) the drummer was most likely NOT going to adjust their timing to match my tempo - and
    2) it's just too much work on my part to attempt to fix, save or salvage the song - and
    3) although I knew in my heart that my timing/tempo was correct, playing slightly off the beat is going to sound wrong for the song.

One interesting drummer was a guy that played with my four piece blues band for a few shows. He sounded OK in the audition and we were kinda desperate to hire a replacement because we had a full slate of gigs scheduled. Over the next couple weeks we discovered that this drummer almost always ended up slowly changing his speed to get the song to around 90-100 bpm . . . it didn't matter whether we counted off a slow song at 60 bpm - or if we started a fast tune at 135 bpm, by the end of the second verse he'd be pushing it toward his own 'speed' . . . needless to say he was also replaced soon after that.

12. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    So you mis-spelled rushin drummer?

marchone and dkelley like this.
  13. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Maybe he was used to playing klezmer, crazy the way it's always ahead of the beat and sounds like speeding up but the tempo stays the same...

Mr_Moo and Joebone like this.
  14. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Rusian. Dragin. Both fun to drink with.

BassGuyFL, birminghambass and kobass like this.
  15. BlackVincent52

BlackVincent52

May 26, 2021
    Everyone thinks their timing is perfect and it’s always the other guy who is off. :laugh:

16. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Until you ask the drummer, who has an app on his kit that measures tempo in real time, where he started and where he finished. Then you (and he) know who is off.

Ronzo, inthevelvet, retslock and 2 others like this.
  17. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    also this:

Mr_Moo, timplog, digmeout and 4 others like this.
  18. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    This guy's always in time:

19. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Never gets old!

20. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I've heard vodka does that to a person.

packhowitzer likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021