Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played Xush's new FBB today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Jul 8, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I am impressed! I was impressed by Matt Scmill's work from the onset, when I played Xush's fretless 5, then when I got my own fretless 4, I was pretty well convinced that Mr. Scmhill really knows what he's doing. Now, having played this new fretted 4, I'm sold on FBBs, as I think a few other members here are. (Peter, Xush? Y'all feelin' me here?)

I'd seen pics all throught the construction process, so I knew what I would be looking at when it came in, but no picture that I've seen does this bass justice. It is phenominal! The Walnut top is beautiful, and so is the Wenge fingerboard.

Then we plugged it in.
    :eek: After merely 15-20 minutes with the bass, my jaw was floored. There are more sounds in that bass than I have ever heard from one instrument. After only 15 minutes or so I found the sound I've been trying to get with my equipment for the past month, but have been unsuccessful at finding.

I do think the fretwork could have been a bit smoother. They just need to be beveled a bit more to take down the sharp angles on the edges. And the neck is a bit slimmer than my fretless, but it's still rather chunky. BUT, I've played exclusively on a Fender Jazz neck the past 4 or 5 years, and I didn't find the large necks on the FBBs uncomfortable at all. Quite the opposite..I now think they are more comfortable than my Fender necks.

Matt Schmill (if you see this), you've created another masterpiece! :D

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    And Im sure it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

3. The quality of Matt's woodwork is nothing short of top-notch. He has a love affair with lumber.

As for the fretwork, I think a good setup by a competent luthier will cure any such problems. He gave my bass an excellent fret job when I visited his shop.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks for checking in Adron! Enjoyed listening to you put her thru her paces this afternoon.

So far, I've only been playing the bass in a somewhat reclining position, with my leg propped up. The bass was kind of tilted, and it wasn't strapped on, so I never really approached it like I would normally. Today, after you left, I put on my $2.00 strap to really check it out. Perfect balance! Hangs great. I see what you mean about the frets though. I hadn't been sliding my hand up the neck and feeling it, I was having to arch my hand more because of the position I was in. I see that they aren't beveled as much as usual, but I'm used to that from my Alembics. Still, maybe that luthier that worked on my F could smooth that out eventually.

Peter, I agree that Matt's skills are of the highest order. The woodwork on this bass is on par with the high-end, big-$ basses I've played.

& Jauqo, I can attest that all my limbs are present and accounted for! For my first custom experience, I am totally elated! I'm afraid I'm addicted now.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    KOOL!

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I'm really interested in these fbb basses.. and for the price, I don't know if they can be beat... anyone wanna ship theirs to my house so i can test it out? :D

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Oh yeah, Eldon could EASILY take care of those frets. Actually, he was at the shop just a little while before I got there, and he asked us if your F was doing OK. I was down the street at Andy's trying that NE-1 at the time, but they told him they thought you were pretty pleased with it.