Players' Amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillCO, Mar 14, 2005.

1. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin

I used to have a Sunn Coliseum 300 running through a Dietz 2x15" cabinet, later replaced with a Mesa Boogie 1x15". It was all getting old, then it all got stolen out of my garage. Maybe it was for the best.

Anyway, I've been playing less recently due to professional travel, and have managed with only my Carvin combo. I'm now about to buy another gig rig.

Let me tell you, the last time I shopped competitively for giggable equipment, the GK400RB was fairly new. There is obviously a lot of great stuff out there now.

I'm trying to do my homework and figure out the right buy for me. I tend to be the kind of guy who likes to have something different than everyone else, which means that I'm looking aside of the SWR/GK crowd for now.

I like to play funk and jazzish rock. I would have to buy an amp with an excellent slap tone, although not to the detriment of good tone for other styles. I think I've narrowed my cabinet choice down to the Accugroove with the 2 10s, an Eden 210XLT, or maybe another custom Dietz from Heart of Texas Music in Austin. I'll add a 1x15 or a 4x10 later as I need it.

I'm trying to stay within a few bucks of $1000 for a new head, and I've narrowed down to a few:

- Aguilar AG500
    - Thunderfunk
    - Ashdown MK500

Has anyone played these comparatively and made a decision? Any strong opinions?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For slap, a Thunderfunk with a Henry 8X8 (SWR) would be awesome. The Gol III Senior would be awesome too. SWR is just great for slap overall. The Ashdown head is great for slap as well, but I think the Thunderfunk is the best slap head.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no experience with the ashdown. the amp heads i played thatare direct ancestors of the t-funk were great and both have a lot of fans here. the aggie 500 was a good amp but sorta.......ok. If it was me and those were my choices i'd pick up a t-funk, but i cant see going terribly wrong with the aggie either.