Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Players in Houston, Texas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ctoddrun, Jun 9, 2004.

1. ctoddrun

ctoddrun

Jun 9, 2004
    First the background: I am a guitar player that started playing with a couple of guys a few months ago (after 20 years of playing along with records) and have been having a great time doing it. Nothing very serious. No ambitions or grand designs of taking over the world or tours or even regular gigs. Just for fun. Well, we all are on the exact same page as far as the "for fun" part. The bass player sings very well, and has now decided that he wants to sing full time and play rhythm guitar during solos.

If I were going to place an ad for a bass player, it would probably read something like this: "Looking for a bass player who is SICK of the business, but still wants to jam a couple of times a month."

Surely there are folks out there who have talent and love to play, but dont want the headaches of the rest of the lifestyle, and have grown up a little to realize that they arent going to be U2 or Metallica. Right?

I am 34 now and my drummer and singer are about the same age and all have good jobs. We get together in a really nice place over by the Dome twice a month (MAYBE 3 times). Right now our intention is just to have fun, but if it gets to the point where we sound really good, who knows, maybe we'll start to play out once in a while.

So far we've gone through about 20 songs and just revamped the list again. We started out with a bunch of the stuff we all loved from the 80's then realized how difficult it is to pull off Boston without a bunch of musicians.

Our list is constantly being revised. The following are a few of the tunes we are doing right now.

Audioslave - Show Me How To Live
    A Perfect Circle - Judith, Outsider
    Tool - Sober
    Candlebox - You, Far Behind
    Nickelback - Figured You Out
    Stained - For You, Mudshovel
    Fuel - Hemhorrage
    Rush - Limelight, Tom Sawyer
    Boston - Rock N Roll Band

and quite a few more. Mostly we do the Rush just because we love that stuff, but we all doubt we'll be playing for anyone other than ourselves. Rock n Roll Band is another filler that is fun because we can blaze through it in 3 minutes and dont need any vocals to get through it.

Some of the stuff we also goof on/recently discontinued are:

Sammy Hagar - I Dont Need Love
    .38 Special - Caught Up In You
    Great White - Rock Me
    Queensryche - I Dont Believe In Love
    Ozzy - Crazy Train
    A few more Boston Tunes
    Tesla - Little Suzi

Umm... and a few more I cant recall.

We really havent got our hearts set on any songs in particular as long as they are cool.

We all have our own equipment, most of which is very nice. We have a small PA for vocals at this point, but one that is very nice and will be built on in the future to run the drums and bass through it as well.

The singer has a wife and kids and lives off of Memorial. The drummer has a wife and kids and lives in Cinco Ranch.

Umm... I guess that is the gist of it. Usually we jam on Wed/Thursday nights (so the family men can keep their wifes/kids happy). And, again, its just for the fun of it.

Think you know anyone who would fit the bill?

Thanks!

Todd

2. i always think it's better to focus on the positive rather than the negative. your ad should say things like "casual" and "we want to have fun with this" instead of "SICK of blah blah"

edit: craigslist works for me, give it a whirl http://houston.craigslist.org/

two cents deposited.

3. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    ^ I concur. Be positive, and craigslist rules!