1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Players Jazz Bass V with DiMarzio Area J 5 pair

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Two-Spirit, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Aguilar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dimarzio Area J

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. VolTone500250033. download.

I need another 5 string and this is in my budget, It's $775 and the pickups are $140. I'm upgrading the pots and capacitor to the DiMarzio recommended specs. The volume pots are 500K and the capacitor is .033uf which is different than the wiring kits they sell so I'll have to buy it ala carte. I'm using an Ampeg BA115v2

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Once again, Dimarzio 5-string Jazz pickups are not a drop-in replacement for Fender basses. The Dimarzio pickups are not as long, and the mounting “ears” don’t lineup correctly.

C’mon Dimarzio, make some Fender sized 5-string Jazz pickups! :banghead:

Two-Spirit likes this.
  3. What would be a drop in replacement? I had thought about using quarter pounders or aguilar

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Most pickup manufacturers make Fender sized 5-string Jazz pickups. I guess Dimarzio doesn’t feel the need. Personal preference will have to dictate what you decide on. Just check the dimensions before making a purchase. (FWIW, I’m really liking Seymour Duncan Apollo’s).

Here’s a link to Bartolini pdf that shows Fender pickup dimensions:
    http://bartolini.net/wp-content/uploads/Docs/Pickups/Dims/J-Bass-Shell-Sizes.pdf

Two-Spirit and Zoobiedood like this.
  5. I'm being a cheap skate. The Jazz Bass Professional comes with good pickups and a free case.