1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

players who are ashamed of having "entry level" brand instruments...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pcake, Dec 1, 2017.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i used to run into this a lot on AGF, and i see it here and at vdrums periodically - a player, new or on a budget, who doubtfully asks whether their instrument is "good enough" to gig with. they sometimes denigrate their gear by starting off telling us that they know it's crappy or only entry level even though when asked they like the sound / features / playability. i'm talking about for example a $200 squier or ibanez gio (yesterday it was a yamaha DTX532 drum kit). or an epiphone acoustic as opposed to a gibson.

and i think boards are at least part of the problem. there's so much info and discussion, and when you read that your bass, guitar, keyboard or whatever is budget / entry level, which often they didn't know when buying it, it seems many players feel that entry level equates with "shame on you - you shouldn't play this instrument in public!"

i used to gig with a $169 yamaha bass sometimes, and not only did the bands i played with not complain, they said i had great tone. also the audience didn't walk out or spit on me. some would even come over and tell us how great we sounded. and i owned a better (read higher priced) bass, but sometimes the yamaha was what i was in the mood for as it was lighter weight and i liked it overall.

it's not like entry level usually means it has training wheels or is just so awful no one would be caught dead playing it.

what do you think about this?

Swerve, ImNotJoel, Stumbo and 82 others like this.
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Set up correctly there's little difference between a $200 and $2000 bass in a band mix. Heck, there are $100 basses that are fine too :) .

3. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    My main bass is a Squier Jag Short Scale for which I paid 180 Canadian bucks new. Feels great, sounds great, great platform for modding and toying with, very light and easy to use on 3h gigs, and I've been complimented how nice my "Fender" looks and sounds. So, no shame from me :)

Also, my boy is a big fan of Heathens, and the signer uses the same bass on onf of their videos, that kinds of make me a hero in his eyes :D

4. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I often travel to places like Jamaica, or Cuba, and I see the very cheapest of the cheap being played on stage. Often they have rusty, or missing strings. Combine this with $49 Radio Shack keyboards and they sound great- oozing talent and groove.
    Find your bliss- in any price range.

Swerve, Nebula24, MattZilla and 50 others like this.
  5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    My Squier Affinity Jazz V has seen a lot of gigs, and I think I spent under $200 on it.

ImNotJoel, Stumbo, Big Shrek and 12 others like this.
  6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    and i bet not one audience member has ever leapt to their feet yelling "how DARE you play a squier at us".

ImNotJoel, Stumbo, Chadrach3 and 46 others like this.
  7. Bill ONeal

Bill ONeal

May 28, 2017
    I started out with a $50 Kay bass with a warped neck back in ‘73! After I showed my dad I was serious he got me a 74’ P bass for $400. Wish I still had it!

8. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I've probably mentioned this before but the Affinity J-bass I bought for a hundred bucks is every bit as good as my American Standard Dimension. Neither is perfect, but for the money I'm constantly in awe of how good the Squier is. The Fender had a lot of weird issues when I bought it that it shouldn't have had, and the only issue with the Squier is that the electronics cavity isn't that well shielded. Other than that, its flawless and might be my favorite bass to play.

ImNotJoel, Stumbo, Big Shrek and 9 others like this.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    If they did, I would ignore them, so to be honest, we'll never know...

10. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

My Squire VM Jazz 5 is my main player. I have other "better" basses but none of them feel as good in my hands, play as easily and sound as good. I played on 3 CD's and gigged/toured with an Aria Pro. I'd still be playing it I recon if it hadn't been stolen all those years ago.

11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    have you considered using shielding paint in the cavity? then you'd have a perfect bass experience :)

Stumbo, hardwired, lowplaces and 5 others like this.
  12. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I think this forum does a great job letting folks know that many entry level instruments are fine, and that it matters most how well you play it. It's good to hear that stuff as a young player.

13. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    My main two are a Squier with an after market neck and an entry level Yamaha. They work for me and nobody's ever complained.

14. I would rather use an Epiphone over a Gibson for gigging. It's cheaper to replace an Epiphone if something ever happened. And the chances of anyone, besides yourself, being able to hear a difference is slim.

Note, I am not currently a gigging musician, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

15. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Thank you! I feel that yelling “FREE BIRD!” has grown stale and you’ve given me a great new option for being an antisocial jerk at shows.

16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'll keep that in mind if i ever play in denver :D

17. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    I think its the nature of the bass. Anybody i've seen play with an entry level bass did just fine and sounded fine. Most tuning pegs are decent even when they are cheap. If their frets were off or not level, couldnt really tell. But have those issues with a cheap guitar, and it can sound bad. So either a cheap guitar would need to go to a tech, or the player needed to step up his game a little with a more well built ax.

Michael-hoff and Kristine like this.
  18. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Besides the bass snob aspect can you imagine the pucker factor inducing stress of having a boutique bass at a bar gig? No thanks. :) I'm not saying I don't want or lust after one but I doubt it would ever leave my house if I had one.

19. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I think we all have a natural curiosity about “high-end” gear if we do not already have experience with it.
    “...if I’m this good with a cheap bass, I might be even better with an expensive bass.”
    Those of us that have been around a while and have owned a boutique bass or two, have already satisfied that curiosity.

20. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    And here I always thought T-bird clubbers couldn't go out in daylight!
    :)