Playin' through headphones ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Godcreep, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Hi guys,

This may be a simple question for most of you guys, but I don't know s**t about this stuff, so here we go: I want to play my bass through my headphones, and add a second signal (cd player, computer, drum computer ..) How should I do that? Do I need a (simple) mixer ? Or is there any other way? I have tried playin' my bass through my Marshall bass combo to my headphones and I used the FX send .. problem was I only heard the sound on one side of my headphones .. is that normal ?
    It also has a FX return and a Line out ...

Please help me here ..
    Thanx !

2. This doesn't belong here in Recording gear. I'm moving this to amps.

3. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    You can buy a headphone amp. I think the cheapest I've seen with an input for a CD player (or other separate source) was the Pocket Rock It at $50. You have that end of the spectrum through $250 for a Sadowsky, Fodera, or Raven Labs headphone amp and everything in between.

4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    The AT&T Man in me has to speak out:
    your getting a single headphone signal because your amp like most amps produces a mono signal. a mono signal on a stereo set (headphones) will only go through the left ear. you need two things:
    A head phone amp. heres what you do
    1 Go to radio shack.
    2 Find a head phone amp
    3 Find a little adapter that has a single mini headphone plug that is broken into 2 mini headphone plug holes (lamens terms...)
    4 get a bunch (3) of 1/4 to mini adapters (intrument cable "whole" and headphone plug).
    5 take 1 instrument cable and put the 1/4 inch to headphone adapter on one end.
    6 take your effects send and plug the cable in
    7 take another instrument cable and put adaptors on both endes
    8 run one end to yr cd player headphone out to the 2 to 1 headphone adaptor.
    do the same for the one from yr amp
    9 plug the 2 to 1 adaptor into the head phone amp
    10 plug the headphones in
    11 let me know if I'm an ass for using lamens terms.
    :p
    This is yr "list of crap to get"
    1. 2 to 1 headphone adaptor $1.99
    2. 3 1/4 inch to Mini adaptors $5.99
    3. Head phone amp $10.00
    Total: $ 18.00
    My advice, not worth it.