Playin' through headphones ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Godcreep, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Hi guys,

This may be a simple question for most of you guys, but I don't know s**t about this stuff, so here we go: I want to play my bass through my headphones, and add a second signal (cd player, computer, drum computer ..) How should I do that? Do I need a (simple) mixer ? Or is there any other way? I have tried playin' my bass through my Marshall bass combo to my headphones and I used the FX send .. problem was I only heard the sound on one side of my headphones .. is that normal ?
    It also has a FX return and a Line out ...

Please help me here ..
    Thanx !
  2. This doesn't belong here in Recording gear. I'm moving this to amps.
  3. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    You can buy a headphone amp. I think the cheapest I've seen with an input for a CD player (or other separate source) was the Pocket Rock It at $50. You have that end of the spectrum through $250 for a Sadowsky, Fodera, or Raven Labs headphone amp and everything in between.
  4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    The AT&T Man in me has to speak out:
    your getting a single headphone signal because your amp like most amps produces a mono signal. a mono signal on a stereo set (headphones) will only go through the left ear. you need two things:
    A head phone amp. heres what you do
    1 Go to radio shack.
    2 Find a head phone amp
    3 Find a little adapter that has a single mini headphone plug that is broken into 2 mini headphone plug holes (lamens terms...)
    4 get a bunch (3) of 1/4 to mini adapters (intrument cable "whole" and headphone plug).
    5 take 1 instrument cable and put the 1/4 inch to headphone adapter on one end.
    6 take your effects send and plug the cable in
    7 take another instrument cable and put adaptors on both endes
    8 run one end to yr cd player headphone out to the 2 to 1 headphone adaptor.
    do the same for the one from yr amp
    9 plug the 2 to 1 adaptor into the head phone amp
    10 plug the headphones in
    11 let me know if I'm an ass for using lamens terms.
    This is yr "list of crap to get"
    1. 2 to 1 headphone adaptor $1.99
    2. 3 1/4 inch to Mini adaptors $5.99
    3. Head phone amp $10.00
    Total: $ 18.00
    My advice, not worth it.