1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playin with a pick!? Right or wrong!?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Duckie, May 14, 2006.

1. Duckie

Duckie

May 14, 2006
    Hey i useually just play my bass with my good ould fingers! and try the odd time to use a pick! But it doesnt feel right! Im i doing something wrong!? Or is it just a natural feeling!?

ALso any tips on playin with a pick!?

2. SOA_bassist

SOA_bassist Guest

May 10, 2006
    it takes time to get used to it. it felt very strange to me my first time but now i got no problem with a pick. just take your time and it will start feeling more normal.
    and for tips, just practice chromatics with ust down strokes, then just up strokes, then with alternate picking.

3. I have the same problem/issue... since I don't play with a pick regularly, when I do it feels awkward. But like any technique, if you practice it regularly the same way you would practice a finger technique, you will refine it. So the same principles apply; try to get a good, solid tone with both the up and down stroke; work your scales making sure every note sounds good; work with the good old metronome... on and on... if you want any technique to be one that you can use at the drop of a hat, you need to hit the woodshed.

4. +1

5. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I am the reverse of you lot i am just getting to grips with my tech while playing with fingers, as i have picking with a pick down to a fine art! Its simple once you get used to it :bassist:

6. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    My first instrument was bass but I picked up guitar and was getting into playing some speed/thrash metal. I got Troy Stetina's speed method book and that's how I learned to use the pick, which was easily applied once I switched back to bass. As a consequence, I now have a lot more trouble playing as fast or accurately with my fingers than I do with a pick. Either way, it will feel uncomfortable at first just keep practicing you will improve.

7. Pratice makes perfect, also when you are trying to play fast (build up speed first), put the pic at a slight angle so that you are not hitting the string flat. It is much easier to play fast like that. If you want to see what I mean look at how a guitarist holds the pic when they are shreading.

lowsound