1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing 1 octave higher via effect pedal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alanarns, Sep 14, 2008.

1. alanarns

alanarns

Sep 14, 2008
    I am using the Amazing Slow Downer software that allows me to raise the bassline on any song one octave higher than it was recorded. This allows me to hear the bass line easier. The problem is when I try to play along, I run out of fretboard for the higher notes. Is there an effects pedal that will allow me to play in standard position on the fretboard, but then raise the pitch one octave?

2. Digitech Whammy pedal might be the go, if they're still making those..

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Many octave pedals will allow you to play one octave higher. Their ability to track without "wobbling" on the higher notes is another consideration. The best one out there are probably the POG and Micro POG. There's a video review of the Micro POG I've done on YouTube that you can find in the link in my signature if you want to hear it. The one thing is that going an octave up on bass via an octaver will usually produce a synthy or organ-like tone- it won't sound particularly natural.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1 on the EHX Micro POG. Spend some time in the TB Effects forum and you'll learn a ton about a few other similar toys.

5. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    If you're on a budget, Behringer makes a half-way decent harmonizer pedal that can do that. I think they're around $40 street price.

6. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    Artificial Harmonics

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    .....would do him absolutely no good for the purpose he's after :eyebrow:

8. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I can do it with my Boss PS-5. Rather than use it in pitch shifter mode which seems to introduce warbling and loads of artifacts, I set it in harmonist mode, set the H.R. Key to E, the Balance knobs all the way right, and the pitch knob 1 octave up. It works absolutely perfectly, and sounds even better with an expression pedal.

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Grab a set of Picallo strings for while your learning the songs?

10. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    A guitar?

11. Calvan

Calvan

May 13, 2008
    San Diego
    why not just hear it an octave higher, and still play it an octave lower? sounds like the only reason you made it higher in the first place is so the bass stands out more over the rest of the music. while learning the song your probably playing by yourself right? you should be able to hear your own bass just fine......

12. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    the red digitech guitar whammy can give you a nice octave up and two octave up sound..

thats the two octave up sound, played by reed mathis..

13. alanarns

alanarns

Sep 14, 2008
    If you hit a bad note, it stands out more clearly at the higher octave, you can hear the dissonance, etc.

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    IME the whammy has tracking issues below low A, but I've never had those kind of issues with the Micro POG.