Playing 2 notes at same time

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by shoelacenoose, Apr 4, 2004.

1. shoelacenoose

Apr 4, 2004
    Hey, I've been trying to learn as many RHCP songs as i can, but i've noticed that a bunch in of their songs, Flea plays 2 notes at a time, tabbed like this:

how would you to this if you play with your fingers? do you strike both strings with one finger on each? strum like guitar, or do you need a pick?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    There is no 'right' way to do it. all the ways you described are common, but they all produce a different tone. using 2 fingers at once will get you a warm tone, while strumming it like a guitar with give you a compleley different tone. just experiment, and to what evere feels natural.
  3. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Flea uses a pick sometimes.

You can do it with a pick, slap both strings, or kind of pop both the strings, but not as hard.

But better yet, just play it how you want to. Play it the way you think sounds good.
  4. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    When playing two or more notes I usually really start working the thumb. My big thing is to place my index or middle finger on the bottom of the lower string and my thumb on the top of the higher string, then squeeze together as if to pinch the strings together, pretty much plucking on either side while coming together. This makes a very light attack and mellow sound. That's just one of my little things though. I just started doing it and it felt comfortable, so I kept it.
  5. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I do that exact same thing or sometimes I try to play 2 note chords faster by using me thumb on downstrokes.
  6. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Yea, it might do some people good to remember my little slogan....

"Thumb: It's not just for slappin' anymore."

With the rise of high profile bass players using their thumb (Victor Wooten being a very big one), more and more people are coming to find out that when it comes to finger styles you're not restricted just to your index and middle fingers. If you practice and become fluid in the use of you ring and/or thumb in normal patterns, you will just have more options. I know to a lot of experienced bass players, this is old news, but there are a lot new players that are using examples from player that have poor tech skills (some punk and rock bass players just suck.) Remember kids, just because someone is playing one way on Mtv, doesn't mean that's how you have to do it ;)
  7. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    When looking at the tab you posted, I guess it's from the song "Scar Tissue". To get a sound that is somewhat close to what Flea is producing on the album, I would personally use my index- and my middlefinger . Try to pluck the D-string with the indexfinger and the G-string with the middlefinger.

Good Luck!
  8. OUCH! Talk about finger dexterity. Don't you mean index finger on the higher and thumb on the lower string?
  9. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I think he was talking in terms of height from the ground, not pitch
  10. Explain that to Jimmy Haslip.

11. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Nail spotted and hit.

Yea, I need to remember that I think backwards when it comes to string order. That's one of the problems that arise when self taught, your terms aren't always spot on ;)