Playing 2 notes to a metronome........

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I do this every now and again and just thought I'd share it with everyone. I set a metronome (I'm glad Jeff's gone) to the slowest speed and just play a G sharp and an A over and over and over and over. I do as much as I can possibly do with the 2 notes and after about 10 minutes it can start to become a lot of fun. I try to accent a different beat each measure, go from quarter to eighth to sixteenths to triplets to whatever I can handle. I try to meditate on a steady pulse using the g sharp as a pickup note for each measure. I try to do anything and everything imaginable and concentrate on making every single note sing, whether I'm pulling it with everything I've got or touching it as though my fingers were feathers.

Izzz fun and I think it really helps my feel, my timing, and my ability to really groove inside the pocket. Yeah baby!!!!!

I love bass.
  2. Weeee, I like to make words BAD BEE BE DEAF, it helps me become more familiar with the fretboard and really preps me to kick ass in the grade 3 spelling competitions too. I shudder to think of my tab days when all I could write was 7-11.
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I was just thinking, if the metronome is your friend, does that make the drummer your enemy?
  4. There's an exercise that John Patitucci came up with that really kicks my ass rhythmically:

Set a metronome to a really slow tempo, something on the order of 40-50.

Play nothing but the sixteenth note on the "a" before the "1."

It's amazingly difficult, and if you don't have any internal rhythm it'll force you to develop it in one hell of a hurry.
  5. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    This a also good, but you need a drum machine or sequencer:

program 4 bars of metronome clicks & loop them.
    ditto, but leave bar 4 empty.
    ditto but leave bars 2 & 4 empty.
    ditto but leave bars 3 & 4 empty.
    ditoo but leave bars 2 & 3 & 4empty.

Also interesting:
    program a clave instead of metronome.
    practice walking bass with clicks on beats 2 & 4

have fun
  6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Yep, that sounds like a bitch alright!
  7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    And if you want help swinging 4 to the bar, set the metronome to HALF the speed of the tune, and play so the metronome clicks on 2 and 4. If you can make a METRONOME swing, you've got it licked!
  8. sounds interesting - is this with the metronome set on 1&3? for most stuff i practice with the click on 2&4.
  9. 1 & 3, yeah. It's a Latin exercise, really--knowing exactly where "1" falls is vitally important with all those polyrhythms going on, especially if it's really advanced modern stuff.