Playing a black Sabbath Set in just a few hours. Little nervous.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    The Stage is set. I go on last of 6 bands most of them cross formed with members but the sound man is letting me keep my entire rig on stage till I need it. The Opening band's bass player is using my rig. He asked and I could not say no cause his cover band invited me down to play a couple songs with them at a gig so I totally owe him anyway. And I am cool with experienced guys who know what they are doing so its all good. I don't have anyone to run my camera so I offered use of my rig to another bass player in exchange but not got a reply yet. They are only doing two songs anyway.

A bit nervous about this gig. Our set list is,

Black Sabbath
    Snow blind -
    Into the Void
    Planet Caravan
    Hand of Doom
    Wicked World
    Neon knights
    Heaven and Hell
    Iron Man

WE have the longest set list. We are most worried about
    Snow Blind, Neon Knights and Heaven and Hell.

Snow Blind went through some arraignment changes that were un spoken, in other words we agreed to things that later got switched out with other parts. I caught it by reviewing video tape and only alerted the band one practice before show time.

Heaven and Hell and Neon Knights our vocalist dropped out only a week and a half before showtime (tonight) and we had a replacement but he was only able to rehearse once then once at a dress rehearsal at the club. He is also not very familiar with the songs. We in fact only played them all the way though with the new singer once. Choppy and iffy and I even just caught today that the drummer is not doing a double snare every turn around in the song's structure like on the recording. I just alerted him to that today. It's subtle but is the reason why his tempo was running away from him. The Double snare helps regulate that.

It's a SOLD out show and I am praying we can get though it with out having to blow a song and stop. I will be so busy counting in my head and cuing the drummer as well as the guitar player and even the new singer I won't even be able to "preform" much at all. Or have a good time. I will be worrying about the songs outcomes while keeping track of my own playing.

sabbath stage.jpg

2. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Dress rehearsal two nights ago.

smogg, BassFishingInAmerica and Helix like this.
  3. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    A whole set, Lucky. I've been pining for 2 years to do just 1 Sabbath song.

Spectrum, Ellery and comatosedragon like this.
  4. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Sounds scary...but...you're on last.
    The audience should be more than nicely warmed up and more than a little drunk.

Hit that stage like you own it and once the music starts I bet it'll all go great.
    Whatever you do, don't stop a song if it goes wrong...I believe the correct reaction is to have everyone glare at the bass-player like it's completely his fault.

Good luck!

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Oh just get up there and kill it and come back and brag. You got this.

6. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Hey man, have a great show! Take a shot of something decent right before you go on, and then go out there and play those tunes like you're fuc#$ng Geezer Butler himself!

shadven and Oddly like this.
  7. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

This is what we live for!

Spectrum, shadven and Oddly like this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest talking through all the arrangements right now.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    WHEW! We pulled it off. Some mistakes (all) related to the drummer. Even mine was his fault cause I was worried about cueing him. I'll have some video later Sunday. We were not the only band to make minor mistake anyway.

Now back to un loading my gear.

Spectrum, shadven, Gearhead17 and 6 others like this.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    :cool:.....you know....fire the drummer.

Congrats on the performance! :bassist:

shadven and smogg like this.
  11. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Well I don't want to be that guy that said I told you so but...:laugh:

shadven and smogg like this.
  12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Good job blaming the drummer for everything. Rock on!

13. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    +1 go rock your show.

Stop? No, if you make a mistake, repeat it, ignore it, own it, or give a guitar player a dirty look so people think it was him who played the wrong chord. But never, ever stop. We are bass players. We go on. :D

Oddly, S-Bigbottom and shadven like this.
  14. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Nice work! I just started playing in a Black Sabbath Tribute band too - it's not easy to play that stuff. As others have said, just keep playing, look like you MEANT to play it like that and keep chugging along. There are many times where the audience will not notice a song getting butchered. However, they do notice when it gets much quieter......

15. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    TO be clear I am not in a black Sabbath Tribute band, bands were formed for a one time event of black Sabbath Music. 6 Bands covering about 25 to 30 songs?

Here is Hand of Doom. you can see me blow the scale at 3:44 hahaha. I was focused on cuing the drummer and did not realize I had one more to go. Ahhh suck!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Oddly, catcauphonic, BurnOut and 4 others like this.
  16. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    What's your music scene like where you live? NO open mikes?

17. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Yea, we got em. It's more one of the guitar players in the band doesn't like to learn new songs. We're gonna play a clean & sober hippie festival this summer. I'm dying to do a slightly updated Hand of Doom. I know it will never happen though. I'd be happy doing most any of em with the exception of the songs you hear on the radio every day.

18. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state

Ohhhh. Well at least you are out there playing even if you can't play what you want. I was never a huge Sabbath Fan myself. Most the songs I ended up playing I never really heard before and only knew one song beginning to end going into it.

So on stage I had no idea how badly Heaven and hell was going till I saw the Video. The Singer had gotten better at the placement of the words but got lost in the end, confused the guitarist and he never got back on track. I was oblivious.

Watch me cue the singer before the words for heaven and hell come in. He always wanted to jump in too soon. I could not help him on the end. We run Neon Nights and Heaven and hell together. (oh and the Drummer played Neon Knights a la punk version. I told him about the double snare and I guess he wanted to go punk.

BurnOut likes this.
  19. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    ^That's cool, sometimes I forget that the Dio Sabbath has so much cool music too. That is a great album. Lady Evil has been a regular bass warn up for awhile. I think I do it more hoping that the rest of the guys pick up on it.
    I'm playing a lot of stuff I love, would just like to go a little harder. I get my way sometimes.

smogg likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022