1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

playing a gig in two weeks..on a pro stage..backline provided.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by murph7489, Sep 13, 2018 at 9:15 AM.

1. The sound guy sent us an email saying that a bass amp would be provided for this gig...should I be freaking out worried that I am playing through an amp I have never played through...Bring my own amp just in case I don't like what they have or just bring my bass and hope that I can eq may way into a decent tone...no idea what the bass amp is going to be...I'm sure it will be a big one...ever have this experience? how did it turn out

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    In most cases they will be fine amps.

About 80% of mine have been SVT rigs with an 8-10 cab.

The potential problen for most bass players is that usually you are given a DI box to plug into and the Ampeg is jist to keep you happy on stage.

So if I were you I would bring a preamp pedal if straight in DI bugs you.

javi_bassist, FerK, nomaj and 15 others like this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Use what they provide. If you don't it will really muck up the transitions from band to band and the crew will not be happy. If you can play, you can get a respectable sound out of any amp that might be on a back line. This is done all the time. It is no big deal.
    Last time I did a back line gig, it was some Ampeg combo, but I don't even know the model. With the stage setup, I couldn't even get to it to make adjustments, so I handed my cord to the drummer who could get to it and he plugged it in. The guy doing the show raved about the tone. It was really good.
    So don't sweat it, plug in and play, it could be fun, but will be a learning moment for you.
    Good luck.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

no.

plenty of times --- turned out great because i didn't have to lug my gear.

good luck with your gig and with your anxiety (novel situations)! :thumbsup:

edit: clarity

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM
  5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Since it's two weeks out, why not ask? @two fingers is right about the majority of them being SVT+810, but I've been handed a lone DI on a couple of occasions... so don't forget your pedalboard.

6. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I've gotten to play through way better amps than I own in this situation-the best part (after saving my back the trouble of lugging my rig), is that the soundperson doesn't have to jump through extra hoops and can provide a more consistent tone for everyone!

7. E-mail sound tech and ask for details about the rig (make, model, basic stuff). If he replies with details, do a little research so you go in with an idea. Chances are it will work out just fine, and I would plan on using it before schlepping my rig.

When I encounter an unfamiliar backlined rig, my first step is to run everything flat at first. Show up nice and early and take your time flattening the EQ, setting your gain so it doesn't clip, and finding a reasonable stage volume you can hear well enough and that doesn't interfere with the sound tech's mix out front. If you need to do some EQ, start with your instrument (the source). Then adjust the amp EQ to taste. Ask your sound tech if he prefers pre- or post-EQ on the DI (if that's an option).

Good luck with the gig. In my neighborhood we're lucky in that the two or three stages I play with backlines have some pretty utilitarian and useful bass rigs, and a good tech will be familiar and comfortable with them. I love those gigs. :thumbsup:

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is it a multi-band show? Chances are they're providing an amp so they don't have to waste time loading amps in and out. It should be fine, and most of the sound is likely to be from the PA anyway. I would second the suggestion that you bring a good preamp pedal you like to shape your tone with, just leave the amp flat, and let the sound guy worry about how it sounds out front.

Gearhead17, jerry and Bassbeater like this.
  9. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    Playing in different situations with different back line equipment is great experience and will make you a better player. No matter what happens. If the provided amp/cab is unfamiliar to you, or you can't reach it, or sounds way different, just blast on through, play your @ss off and learn from it. The next time you're presented with that situation, you'll be experienced at it and it won't be so stressful. But you already know all that, and the previous observations are all good advice. If you luck out and get some form of Ampeg SVT, or other great gear, you'll be in luck. Of course you will be spoiled and the next GAS will be for a new amp, but that's the breaks. Above all, support your group, work with the sound crew and get them on your side, and HAVE FUN. Life's really too short...

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Have you asked what amp is being provided? Bring your own, but keep it in the car unless the backline is a piece of garbage. FWIW, 99% of the time when I've been provided a backline it's been an SVT head and 8X10 cabinet.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  11. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    You should be able to get a tone out of just about anything they provide. (That said, I always keep a Sansamp DI in my gig bag)

The truth is, it doesn't matter. You'll sound like what the soundman makes you sound like out front.

The back line is only for your little sound bubble on stage.

I'm all in for any gig where I only have to lug my bass.

Zbysek, bassfran, gitfiddl and 3 others like this.
  12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi murph7489 :)

No of course not! :D Just ask the guy what they have.

It never hurts to know!

And when the answer is SVT or V4B, just enjoy!

Wise(b)ass

JMacBass65 likes this.
  13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It'll probably be fine.
    I'm playing an outdoor festival this weekend. First band is a 5 piece pop/cover that is all DI/IEM including electronic drums and all. We request a split snake and bring our own mixer for our IEM's. Yeah, we're that band I guess but in the end it makes their job easier as we do our own IEM mixing via phone and they can mix FOH without stage volume to consider. Fortunately, our sound guy works for the local sound company.
    Second band is a (think John Meyer) trio where we actually don't use IEM's and have stage amps. I'm guessing they may have backline but guitar is bringing his amp/pedals and I'll bring my little Genzler combo for the stage. Our sound needs are much less (that's the point of this group - simple and basic) so it's be a quick sound check, a quick monitor check and call it good. It's our first gig as a trio (we've played together in other groups for years) so it'll be interesting.

14. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    chances are it's not going to be what you like, but it'll get the job done (hopefully). It's been my experience that when you bring your rig in instead of using what's there, you make more work for the sound guy, which in turn usually ends up biting you in the rump. There are occasional exceptions to this- but they are far and few between.

Joebone, BurtMacklinFBI and gitfiddl like this.
  15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    The soundguy is telling you politely to not bring your stuff because they're not going to put it on the stage. They have a setup that works for them and that's what they're going to use.

At many points in your bass playing career, you're going to have to deal with suboptimal equipment and situations. Now, that's probably not going to happen here - my last backlined gig, the amp was far larger than anything I'd bring out (GK 1001 RB and 8 10s) - but it could be some janky Peavey combo. You never know. So just show with your bass and (if you use one, I don't) pedalboard and be a pro!

gitfiddl likes this.
  16. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Morro Bay, CA
    Just use their back line. Be early. You’ll have a few minutes to dial it in. If it’s terroble, turn it down and ask for more bass in your monitor. But chances are it will be a better amp than yours! (Or at least a nice pro rig)

No one besides you will hear it anyways as they’ll take a DI signal for FOH.

LowActionHero likes this.
  17. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    My favorite rig these days is the one that’s already there when I get to the gig. I haven’t encountered anything totally unusable in years. Getting an acceptable sound from an unfamiliar amp is an invaluable skill. I always start with tone knobs at 12, all tone buttons off, and tweak from there. Things like “contour” or “enhance” I’ll give a quick twist to see what they do if there’s time. Graphic EQ flat if it can’t be switched off. 5 minutes and I’m done.

18. idorky

idorky

Dec 27, 2006
    no worries...... it'll be fine, just ride that horse :) .... you know your tone/sound, and yes you're allowed to mess with the controls :)..... when you're satisfied with your stage tone and volume, leave the rest to the sound engineer for FOH.

LowActionHero likes this.
  19. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No.
    I don't care what amp they provide for their festival, I'll play thru it.

Zbysek, five7, Bassbeater and 3 others like this.
  20. I agree with Electracoyote, I have played with unfamiliar backline stuff many times.
    And because my normal rig is very simple, some of the provided stuff is often way over my head tech-wise.
    So if i can, after finding out what it will be, I go to a music store try one out and study up on it, or if I can't try it, run it flat, with all the bells and whistles turned off.
    The soundman will do what he or she will in the end anyway, so just find the sweet spot that makes you comfortable enough to play.