Playing a guitar through a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jan 9, 2004.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I have a 200 watt Yorkville amp and I'm wondering if playing my guitar through it would harm it at all. I don't play it too loud. I know playing a bass through a guitar amp harms it, but what about a guitar through a bass amp?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Go ahead.
    It's safe.
    Crank it up.

Now a Bass through a Guitar cabinet,
    that's a different story.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    There have been a number of threads on this in the past 6 months... A search might turn them up.

I advocate using a guitar amp modeler with speaker emulation for playing raunchy guitar through a bass amp with a tweeter. I personally use a Behringer VAmp Pro and my speakers are quite happy.

When using my big rig at home, I plug bass preamps, Vamp Pro and a drum machine into a mixer which feeds my poweramp. Tons of sonic bombast at my fingertips!!!

The key is the speaker emulation to tame the high frequency content of overdrive...
  4. swalsh76

Jan 2, 2004
    In my poor high school days I had a band teacher who was trying to get rid of a *huge* combo bass amp. I didn't play bass, but who was I to turn down free gear?

It was a little weightier on the bottom end than I would have liked, and required a bit of noodling with the eq to make it sound like I wanted, but it never "broke" cuz I was using a guitar through it. I'd say go for it.
  5. My 74 Ampeg V4B sounds phenominal using my Les Paul thru an old Marshall 4x12 and thru my Vox EV loaded 1x15 cabs. it has more balls than my Marshall Jubillee head.:bassist: