Playing a guitar through a bass amp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cambass, Apr 4, 2001.

1. In addition to my bass I have an electric guitar and I was wondering what dangers, if any, would there be if I played it hooked upto to my bass amp.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There are no dangers, just very dull, softer tone. If the situation was vice-versa, then you'd have to look out. A bass can chew up a guitar speaker.
  3. I play my electric guitar through my bass amp all the time. If I think it's too dull/low/muddy, I turn up the treble. :D
    And if I want distortion, I use my overdrive/distortion pedal. :D
  4. i know guitar players that prefer to play though a bass amp. i think the fender bass man head was popular with guitar players in the 60-70s
  5. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was wondering about this. I just bought an RC210 and wondered if my guitarist could play through it. he has a fairly small amp (were not gigging yet), and i thought it would be nice to let him feel some real power.

sure this is ok?

6. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Right, here's my 2 cents worth.

I done a gig end of last year, playing lead guitar. I don't have a dedicated guitar amp, so I used my zoom GM-200 amp sim through my old Trace BLX80. It sounded a little bright, but with a bit of tweaking of the EQ, it sounded just like a (or 10) proper guitar amp.

I've also played my Washburn EA10 electro-acoustic through it, and it sounded fantastic. The low frequency response of the amp really brought out the warmth. Also bass amps are designed to bring out the harmonics and attack, so it helped bring out the acoustic shimmer.

Mt brother used to use an old Vox AC50 for his guitar, which I believe was really aimed as basses.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

fisk - It's not going to hurt your Carvin. (How do you like that puppy anyway? You were dying for it to arrive.)

The only potential problem I foresee is that your guitar player may want to EQ it and boost it to wring all the treble he can out it, at the expense of your bass sound.

But as far as handling it, you have a pro quality head with Eminence bass speakers, which are designed for the pounding a bass wreaks on them. Basically, worrying about putting a guitar through it is like worrying about hauling a few pounds of bricks with a dump truck.
  8. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    What an incredible analogy to use when talking about guitarists......

I love my RC210. As everyone has posted before, this thing rocks. It rattles everything in the room. I cant wait to get a cab to bi-amp to it. that should be in a few months. Untill then, i'm enjoying the hell out it.

9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...the FENDER BASSman is one helluva guitar amp(IMO).