1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing a Guitar through a Bass Cab (would you recommend this?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berssedc, Sep 9, 2008.

1. berssedc

berssedc

Sep 4, 2008
    Hello,

My Rythem/Lead guitarist in my band wants to play his Gibson SG through his Carvin/Marshall tube head plugged into a bass cab. The thought process behind this is that he will get rich crunch lows. I hesitate to back him up on this because I don't know if they speakers can withstand that type of sound.

1. Is this a bad idea?

2. If not, what cab should he look at in the 300-400 range.

3. How important are ohms/watts

4. Would 4x10's, 1x15's or something else be the best for a guitar combo?

Thanks for any input!:bassist:

2. berssedc

berssedc

Sep 4, 2008
    Also, very little distortion would be used, he plays mostly clean.

3. It won't hurt the speakers, but will probably sound like mud and he won't get ANY speaker distortion (character) from the cab which most tube amp players prefer. If that is what he really wants, look for a sealed 4x10 or something that doesn't have a big 80-100 Hz peak like most ported boxes.

4. Okay, but 'crunch' is distortion... ?

And, no, it shouldn't be a problem. If a bass cab can handle bass frequencies, it can handle whatever those puny six-stringed sticks can throw at them. But bass cabs are usually tuned to bass frequencies, and would be underperforming at a guitar's nominal frequencies.

5. krall

krall Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Shediac, NB Canada
    I've done that multiple times throughout the years without any problems, including recording the guitars through bass amps. My current main guitar rig is a '63 Bassman + matching 2x12 in fact..

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The '63 Bassman was a great guitar amp.:hyper:
    The problem was it was a terrible bass amp.:crying:
    One can run guitar through bass speakers, but since the lowermost range of the guitar is an octave higher than the bass it won't make much difference. If one wants more bottom end than the typical guitar speakers will deliver the answer is a bass reflex cab tuned for higher output in the 80-160 Hz octave.

7. Technically there's little danger other than overpowering the speakers, but you might find that his 'crunchy lows' interfere with your piece of the audio spectrum. Many guitarists love that full tone which sounds good when they're practicing alone. In a live band mix, that can be a problem. If your rig can't overcome his sound without both of you hurling a wall of mud at your audience, I'd steer clear of it.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Hell yeah, sounds great, I know a guitarist, all he uses is bass cabs/combos.

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hendrix used marshall cabs with bass cones

nuff said ;)

10. berssedc

berssedc

Sep 4, 2008
    Really, I did not know this!

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    In those days there was no such thing as a bass ten or twelve. Until roughly 1972 what was used in bass cabs by Marshall, Fender, Vox, Ampeg et al. were the highest rated guitar drivers available. The original Stack was intended for use by bassplayers, who's 2x12 and even 2x15 cabs couldn't compete with 2x12 guitar cabs.
    The Stack remained a bass cab for probably about two minutes after Jimi first saw one.