Playing a lefty

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I was crusin' some local pawn shops, looking for something to blow some cash on. I came across an ugly red lefty squier P for $35! I can't say it sounded good, as the shop had no bass amp. I can't say it played good, either. As I'm not to good with playing left handed ;p Hell, I'm not good at all! And this is why I've made this post here! I'm thinking about buying it (I only have one bass, a J), and becoming an ambidextrous bassist! Would just playing a lefty accomplish this? Would there be any pros? Cons? Would it improve coordination? Anything? :/

I heard hendrix laid down some bass tracks himself, on a righty bass! :eek:
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't know if this is true or not, but I think that you could ruin what progress you've made playing your regular way. I'm a lefty, but I couldn't play a left hand bass to save your life! I wouldn't try to learn now, because there's too much crap I still need to learn playing my normal way!
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I'm not sure that's true for anyone but the absolute beginner. If a person learns a second language, they don't forget the first. The interesting part of playing left handed when you've learned on a right handed bass is that you sort of become your mirror image. The only real obstacle is geting the mechanics down and adjust your thinking.

This is a good way to exercise the left and right sides of the brain/

Click here for some interesting info

This one's an interesting site too.