1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing a new bass untill an old ones feel weird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BullHorn, Nov 6, 2010.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Anyone ever had this feeling?

I just got my first 5-string bass and after playing it for two days going back to my 4-stringers... They feel AND sound weird to me. Hah!

2. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Yes...That is How I feel with P Basses and J Basses, but now I rotate them enough to be used to them both!

3. kstearmer

kstearmer

Dec 7, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    i bought a squier active jazz v just to see if i would like a fiver.. didn't really care about it and kept playing my fender jazz. then i bought a ibanez 785 to help a buddy out and take it off his hands, and that was it.. i am now hooked on five strings and recently picked up a carvin icon5. i still play my four stringers but i find that i lost a versatility edge when playing the 4 stringer opposed to playing the 5 stringer..

4. I used to get that feeling a long time ago but now I've played both 4 and 5 string basses,both feel natural in my hands.

5. As a collector of guitars and basses, playing in three bands, and spending way too much time working in music stores, I long ago lost the "weirdness" for different instruments. As a result, I rarely if ever complain about a guitar or bass feeling or sounding different. I love the diversity, it serves me well in the studio and on the stage.

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That happened to me after I got my first five string...eventually I got rid of all my four strings, minus the upright (which already felt completely different to four string bass guitars).

7. Know how you feel....when I started bass again 2 years ago, I was playing a fretless 4 string Dean acoustic to convince myself I could learn. Then I got my Warwick Corvette $$ 5 string fretted. Didn't do too much back and forth because the Dean top started to bubble. Just recently got a Lakland 55-01 fretless with an ebony fretboard and have played mostly that since 1 October. It is not only fretless but a 35" scale vs. the 34" Corvette.

So those two puppies are quite different....I'm now tripping over fret bumps om the Corvette. The Corvette, however, is a little more comfortable for my small/mid sized hands. The fretless improves my finger placement and the 35" scale stretches my hand out a bit.

It's all good....

8. Not me, once I played a 5'er I knew it was for me. Can't play a 4 banger anymore, I've become to dependant on the low B.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'm the opposite. i have 30 basses and everyone of them is a 4 banger. for some reason i just don't like 5'er's at all.