1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing a set of 4 on a 5?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by McHaven, Apr 12, 2006.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    So, I have no use for my B string at all and I hate paying 5 string prices. Would it damage my bass's neck/body by having just the 4 standard strings on, and not the B? Or what about just leaving on the old B for the sake of tension?

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Aesthetically i think it would look kinda whacky with only 4 strings on it. Structurally, i think your neck would be ok, but for the sake of it, keep the B on. Maby one day you will find a use for it.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Why do you have a 5 string? I don't understand.

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Cause it sounded good and was a good deal.

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You definitely have a use for the B...you just need to be creative. You can play low octaves on it. For instance, instead of playing a C on the A string, you could play it on the B, and give it a little different flavor while still remaining in key...

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Use the B. Believe me, when you start trying to use it, you'll find uses for it. You'll find places that it just works better than playing the notes an octave up. Also, it'll challenge you to shift your mental anchor point. When I use a 4, the low string is always E, but on a 5, its obviously B. So, your mental anchor will shift. But you'll be a better player for it.

7. Tune it E-C. Then you'll have a high C to use for chords and solos. Or you will just have a 5 string that won't look funny because it only has 4 strings.

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I do use it every once in awhile. If I'm playing blues in E, i'll go to 5th fret on the B so I can stay in one position throughout the progression. And sometimes I just use it for intimidation, nothing like cranking lows and smacking the low B while turning the bass boost knob. Makes guitarists think "oh crap!"

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thumbrest.