playing a song like the recording

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tevin, Nov 4, 2011.

1. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    To me "song" us NOT, emphatically not synonymous with "arrangement" nor "recording". The riff Duane Allman came up with for "Layla"is not the song. The song is the melody, basic harmony, and the lyrics.

Playing music is about playing in the moment with people you're sharing a stagevwithbrifhr now. It's not regurgitation of what other people dust in a totally different environment.

John

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Have you never enjoyed playing a tune like the record because you get off on it just like that? I mean, there are a lot of tunes I LIKE to play like the record because I get into that group, or I get into that bass part. I love playing Allman Brothers stuff that way, for instance. I LIKE what THEY did, and it feels good to play it.

Has nothing to do with a lack of creativity.

I also agree that even when playing something just like the record that it is possible to get into what you're doing with your technique, in all its aspects. It's like when I have to play a song I don't like, I can always find refuge in enjoying technique and my equipment.

3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    I try to get out and see bands as much as possible (when I'm not gigging) and I've seen players BUTCHER songs to hell playing it 'their way'. It's like, "oh, so you think you're above Paul McCartney and Pino Palladino?" Sorry, but 99% of the time it sounds like garbage when people do that.

When I sub in cover bands, most of the time the other band members come up to me after and say, "Dude, it's soooo nice to hear the correct basslines, feels, fills, etc."..

Heck, even last night we did a acoustic duo gig (ok, I played my Jack Casady which is not really acoustic), but had a third guitarist sit in with us. Every time I played a correct bass riff or lick he was all smiles.

You ever heard John Mayer's version of "My Sweet Lord"? Sean plays it pretty much exact.

You ever heard Van Halen's version of "Won't Get Fooled Again"? Mike plays it just about 100% like the Ox.

Even THESE guys pay respect to the recordings!

4. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    I said multiple guitars were fine. But Hillsongs United are professionals working a big stage. A church band typically isn't Professionals might have more guitars, and they have the knowledge to make things work right, which is also extremely important. We play Hosanna with 2 electrics and 1 acoustic, and it comes out just fine.

Multiple keyboards? Haven't seen a single band with multiple keyboards, and don't see how it would possible work.

5. Tevin

Tevin

Apr 17, 2011
    Keep in mind I said I play guitar for church. Sometimes I don't play chords because the two keyboardists are. If I don't play the song like the recording,I keep the same feel

6. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    I think that when you do cover, you have to play it like the recording or if you are a playing in a different music style you can change the style of the song, that can be cool too.

But still, I get the feeling that if you modify the bass line or any other line it is like ... well those part aren't important at all in the song, I could play whaterver and people couldn't tell the difference. So we could say those line are garbage to the player if he choose to change them completly.

7. there seems to be alot of hair splitting going on here. I teach bass. I tell my students, learn the line the way it is THEN make it yours. thats the only way to really know what parts of the line are important and and which parts are changable. bruce lee said "make yourself like water, water takes the shape of any object it fills." do what is appropriate for the situation. in short...get over yourself and be the music. sorry thats kinda hippy BS. But seriously.

8. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    Depeche Mode, Kansas, the Allman Brothers, The Grateful Dead, , The Band, Steely Dan, The E Street Band, and many more have all had multiple keyboard players at times.

It's not at all uncommon, and if done correctly works quite well.

9. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    I must be listening to the wrong music then, because none of the 75 artists in my iTunes use multiple keyboards :p

But as you said, the trick is when it's done correctly. Get three regular old bassists playing at the same time and it's probably not going to work so well. Get Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Vic Wooten playing at the same time and you have epic aweseomness. I'm sure the same applies to all instruments.

10. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but the multiple bassists thing reminds me of the album 'three or four shades of grey' by Charles Mingus. The last track has both Mingus and Ron Carter playing together :)

11. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    Do you have any David Crowder* Band in there anywhere?

I've seen them live, and they have three or four keyboards on stage and there's times when they are all being played. ;)

12. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    I don't have a whole lot of CCM other than Hillsongs in my iTunes:ninja:

13. When i learn a song i try to pick out all the little fills and stuff that the original bass player does, just to train my ear. Then i try to put my personal touch to it :cool:

14. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You are 100% correct. Excuse me for being so blunt, but if someone joins a band without discussing this then they are stupid. I wouldn't even go on an audition without discussing goals and what is expected of me.

Also, you should be able to tell that the rest of the band is playing the song exactly as on the record. If you forgot to talk about it prior to your audition, now is the time to bring it up.

I guess what bothers me most about this thread is the self-righteous, holier than thou attitude of some of the people who advocate playing a song note for note. If anyone wants to do that, I have no problem with that (its actually none of my business), but don't think it makes you better than the people who want to create their own musical vision.

15. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada

YES!

16. jsbachonbass

jsbachonbass

May 16, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Which I guess is different than the self-righteous, holier than thou attitude of the person who said "People who want to play "just like the recording" lack creativity and imagination."??????

17. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    That's what I was saying about a page ago, but I guess they're too self-righteous and holier than thou to notice the truth. :bag:

18. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I didn't say that. But that actually doesn't bother me. :D

19. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I would say it depends on the tune. I mean can you imagine QUEEN's Another One Bites the Dust with a different bass line? What about The Four Tops' Same Ole Song with a different bassline? Use your judgement, if there is a driving bassline it will be hard to recreate that drive with a different bassline so much so that it would probably make playing the song more complicated and why would you want to do that?

If you are playing Miles' Freddie the Freeloader, go to town, just make sure you are oulining the chords for everyone else. I have heard players do Van Morrison's Moondance almost like the original recording only go into a samba and to pull that off everyone in the band needs to be on the same page.

20. Tevin

Tevin

Apr 17, 2011
    If I were playing Another one bites the dust ,only thing complicated I'd probably do is a fill

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021