playing acoustic shows

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JWC, Mar 29, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    i think these suck first of all, but if you play one, do you use an acoustic bass, or just an electric turned down?
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The few acoustic sets I've played, I've played with my acoustic-electric bass plugged in to a small amp.
    Although it is called acoustic-electric, my bass doesn't have much volume played unplugged. I also needed the extra volume to be heard over the guitars, harmonica and the drums, even though the drummer was playing softly.

3. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I would not buy an acoustic bass guitar just to do acoustic shows myself.

But I have played with other musicians who are basically playing acoustic instruments, with an electric, with an upright with pickup or mic'd, with a ABG and with an wash tub bass.

They all can be good depending on other circumstances.

I guess my fave is the Wash Tub. Cheep and noteworthy.

BTW - If you ever saw the Bad Livers you would not say "these suck"...
  4. Damarunwolf

Mar 22, 2000
    My band is thinking of throwing an acoustic 1/2 set into our show, and I have no intention of buying an acoustic bass just for that function. Guess I'll be turning down...that was a little venting slipping out there... :mad:
  5. Ummm...
    ok, I've got a problem with my acoustic/electric bass, and thought I'd ask in this thread...
    When it's plugged in, you can hear the E and the A strings perfectly fine, but when you pluck the D or G strings then you have to strain to hear them. So therefore, to get an even volume level with for all strings, the natural thing to do would be turn up the volume, and play with a lighter touch on the E and A strings, right?
    So...what if the music director of the musical doesn't like that idea, and is basically forcing me to "just pluck harder on the D and G strings"? Is there something up with the setup of my acoustic that's causing the volume to be so low?
    Oh yeah, it's an Ibanez AE. :)
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sheep Man,

When this happens on DB it usually means that the pickup system is just overbalanced towards the bottom two strings. The only thing that will really fix it in my experience is to install another pickup on the "G" side of the bridge. One thing that sometimes helps, though, is to use a graphic EQ (a stomp box will do fine) with 200hz boosted and everything around that frequency cut. Before I got my current pickup system, I had the exact same problem and the graphic helped as a stopgap measure.

Good luck.
  7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    My band is playing an acoustic set for the first time tonight. I'm using electric, turned down - sounds pretty good in rehearsal.
  8. Ok, now I'm feeling a more than a little confused...
    But then again, I found out that my CABLE was causing my 5 string to not sound at times, because I tried to play my Fender, and lo and behold - no sound out of the amp! And yes, the amp was on. :p
    That means I'll have to bring my cable to the store to replace it, or buy a new one.
    But...should I bring one of my basses, as well, in case it's actually both of my basses that are screwed up? That's not very likely though, is it?

9. Well we are all glad you think these suck.

Oddly enough, accoustic gigs comprise almost 100% of my playing right now.

I play my fretless, run into the PA. The guitarist runs his electric-acoustic into the PA, and obviously the vocals go in as well.

Seems to make the audience happy.

10. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think you guys doing acoustic sets should run out and buy an acoustic bass, like maybe a Guild. hmmmm didn't I see one for sale in the TB classified section?

and by the way THEY DON'T SUCK!!!

JWC why don't you start a thread listing things that you DON'T think suck?
    possibly your shortest post ever?
  11. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Ugghh... maybe I got it wrong, but I thought acoustic gigs meant you don't amplify your instruments at all??

12. Sheep, how new is your battery?
  13. Not THAT new, but it's still pretty strong.
    Actually, I think I'll bring a spare battery to school on Monday, just in case. Oh yeah, I leave my acoustic at school. :p