playing against the frets

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by hell_awaits, Oct 23, 2000.

1. hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    I've noticed how some people fingerstyle against the frets to create a clicking sound, rather than pulling through without any interference. How many people play like this? It seems pretty common.
  2. hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    Or is it just considered sloppy technique to have any contact with the frets when playing fingerstyle? Does anyone have an opinion on this, or is it just too insignificant to even worry about? [​IMG]
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just think it's not clear what you're talking about - I'm not sure anyway! For example, I have no idea what the phrase "pulling through without any interference" means at all in this context. Can you elaborate? Are you talking about tapping?
  4. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    I guess you are talking about people who play hard, making the strings bang against the frets? I do it sometimes, to cut through in difficult situations. It can sound very agressive and fit some styles of music, like metal.
  5. This is called a rest stroke (the finger coming to rest on the next string) and is instrumental in the Stanley clark sound. The other stroke misses the next string and is the through stroke( the Mark Egan sound). I use both of these all the time.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I occasionally hit the strings in such a way that they come in contact with the frets, and do so with my fingers directly over the fingerboard. It's more of a gimmick in my playing than an actual technique that I use.

In practice, the sound of the "clicking" interferes with the song. But, as a special effect, it can be interesting.
  7. dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    I was told to put my finger right behind the fret for the best possible sound of the note this not true?!?!?!?!?!?!
  8. hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    Yes.. that is exactly what I was talking about.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough before. I was trying to think of an easy way to describe that clicking sound. The live intro to "Double Agent" by Rush is a good example. I haven't heard much Rush, so I don't know if there are better examples of this.

dot74- Yeah, you're right on about the left hand technique. You should keep your fretting fingers right behind the frets. I was reffering to right-hand technique.
  9. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Do you mean kinda like popping? But more like just playing normal fingerstyle really hard just to get a pop-like effect? I sometimes do that just when noodling around. It seems like an effect that could go well with metal playing, as some others have suggested.