Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing an octive with a 5th in between

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hi guys - question: using 2 finger style, I am working on perfecting the playing of an octive with a 5th in between. For example: I play an "A" on the D string 7th fret, to an "A" on the E string 5th fret, but I fit an "E" on the A string 7th fret in between, and the interval between the octave is an eighth note, or even a quarter note. I'm trying to figure out if I should use my middle finger to play the first "A", followed by the "E" played with my index, (or index followed by middle), or use the same finger to pluck the first "A", and simply pull my hand up and let the same finger brush the "E" before plucking the low "A".

The question could be restated as: Should I use the same finger when plucking a note that is quickly followed by the note on the same fret, but one string lower?

Thanks - Skel

2. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    do you only use two fingers on the fingering hand?

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes.

4. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    I use the same finger when going from a higher string to a lower one, no matter what inerval it is.

5. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    That's called "raking" I think there's a sticky about it, or do a search. You'll hear all kinds of different things about it . . . I would say just do whatever's comfortable when you're playing, but practice it both ways.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, that's pretty much what I thought. I'm glad to learn the name of what it's called. I prefer using separate fingers for better clarity, but it's a little more difficult to make sure the first note doesn't get prematurely muted out by the second note. I sure like the sound of an Octave (and sorry I couldn't even spell it correctly in the title of the thread) done this way.

Skel

7. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I can't really see how fretting is affecting your plucking, so rake away. Play closer to the bridge for more clarity.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I guess I'm really just having trouble getting good at playing eighth notes when each subsquent note is on an adjacent string, and only practice can solve that. I've read about playing closer to the bridge - and yes, that works - thanks. Not sure why my hand keeps drifting away from the bridge - I have to pay attention to that.

Skel

9. IMO, you should try develop both methods. You can get different sounds and control over different aspects of your sound with each. Sometimes those subtle differences can be important in a particular line.

Theres more than one way to skin a power chord. :bassist:

:D
    S

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, it's no surprise that if you practice your ass off, you get good, and you can do it both ways with ease. I'm getting there, and this is a fun journey. I like the challenge of seeing if I can just MANGLE the bass with my fingers, and I know I can if I keep practicing like I have been.

Skel