Playing and singing Back-ups... HELP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SacOnBass, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Well, I have the bass part and vocal part down seperately but as soon as I try and put them together I start messing up. Im brand new to this sooo I dont know if its an experience thing or what. It's usually the bass parts where I mess up when the two come together. I think due to the fact that I so worried about the back-up vocal part.

Im would realy like to hear some of your suggestions on solving this issue. Practice techniques, mental preperation etc......Thanks again Guys

2. Practice the line, over and over. To the point where you can watch TV or hold a conversation with someone in person and have it pretty dead on. Then practice it and sing at the same time. Repeat.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i still wrestle with this one, but not so much on backups. ummmmmmmmmmmmm practice. :D
    to me the big difficulty is when the rythm of the 2 parts is different. Phil Lesh (of grateful dead fame) once said "playing the bass and singing is like trying to dial two different numbers on two different telephones at the same time" - and that was in the days of rotary phones :smug:
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's tough, for sure. Like Harry and IvanMike said, practice is the key.

I did it 15 years ago in a band I was in. Took ages to get it down pat. Then I didn't do backing vox again until a few months ago, and it's been back to square one for me. I'm getting there gradually.
  5. That's how Les can do what he does and do vocals.

He'd watch cartoons while practicing.