1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing and singing through same amp ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlbarlow, Sep 30, 2008.

1. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    So is this just a terrible idea, or what? From what I understand, bass cabs are much like sound reinforcement cabs - they can handle whatever you run into them. I imagine the head is more geared towards low frequencies, so maybe that's problematic? I'm also wondering about the quality of sound with being muddy from both the voice and the bass.

But, given that I might want to try it ... what do I need to do? I was thinking about getting boss line selector, on which I could adjust the input volume of both bass and vox mic. Would I need anything else?

A mic question, too ... my trombone mic (a dynamic mic) does great with my amp. But I tried by buddy's Shure vocal mic, and it was incredibly quiet. What gives?

Thanks.

2. It's all doable even if I suspect the quality will not be that special, especially with louder volumes. What is the intent? Practice? Performance? Home practice? Something else? You could always get a used PA for cheap price nowadays, using craigslist or something similar.

3. I've used a combo bass amp for sound reinforcement on a small room scale. It worked just fine.

I used a Yamaha mixer and ran 3 vocal mics and a Sans Amp BDDI into an old Peavey 1x15 amp. It was fine for the application, a small jam session with 2 guitars, bass and vocals.

The mics need a pre-amp section. That's were a small mixer comes in handy. Any small mixer should do for your application (small 2 or 4 channel mixer, old 4 track tape deck like a Tascam Porta One, etc.).

4. I have run my bass, an electric guitar (with a distortion pedal) 2 mics and a drum kit through a Marshall AS50R before.

I have run a mic and 2 acoustics through it at a gig.

5. I have a small Phonic mixer that takes 2 mikes & 4 other instruments. I set the rig flat & use one mike line for my mike & the other for the bass (switched to low). I can control the EQ from the bass.

Works for *very* small venues. :)

6. Yes, I have a 6-channel small Behringer mixer, good for all kinds of ad hoc wiring solutions, I think I got it for $60 at Guitar Center, so it's a cheap price for a good tool in the toolbox. --Kent