Playing and singing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by erik II, Apr 30, 2001.

1. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Any DB-players here who also sing? I did backing vocals in a band some years ago but found it uncomfortable; when I was not singing the mic was in the way, I couldn't move away from it.
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I am no longer physically able to sing, but I used to sing leads and backups in a variety of bands back in the day. Never found it to be a problem.

My preference was a mic on a boom stand, loosely mounted to the stand itself so I could swing it to the side when necessary. Perhaps that will make you more comfortable with its presence. A foam windscreen helps save on dental bills, too ;-)
  3. Check out Jim Ferguson's records... no one should be able to sing that well and solo that beautifully.

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks for the tips. I probably just never got used to it - that band broke up not long after I started singing.

....heywaitaminute...?! :eek:
  5. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I sing harmony on several tunes while I play. The trick, as (all hail) Bob said, is to have the mic on a nice long boom that you can swing out of the way when you're not singing. It really does work, just take a little time getting it adjusted and getting used to it.
  6. I sing and play, mainly BVs in my latin band, but some lead vocals in a country/blues/rock n roll band I play in now and then. It took some getting used to, perseverance is the key.