Playing and singing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by erik II, Apr 30, 2001.

1. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Any DB-players here who also sing? I did backing vocals in a band some years ago but found it uncomfortable; when I was not singing the mic was in the way, I couldn't move away from it.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I am no longer physically able to sing, but I used to sing leads and backups in a variety of bands back in the day. Never found it to be a problem.

My preference was a mic on a boom stand, loosely mounted to the stand itself so I could swing it to the side when necessary. Perhaps that will make you more comfortable with its presence. A foam windscreen helps save on dental bills, too ;-)

3. Check out Jim Ferguson's records... no one should be able to sing that well and solo that beautifully.

-a

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks for the tips. I probably just never got used to it - that band broke up not long after I started singing.

....heywaitaminute...?! :eek:

5. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I sing harmony on several tunes while I play. The trick, as (all hail) Bob said, is to have the mic on a nice long boom that you can swing out of the way when you're not singing. It really does work, just take a little time getting it adjusted and getting used to it.

6. I sing and play, mainly BVs in my latin band, but some lead vocals in a country/blues/rock n roll band I play in now and then. It took some getting used to, perseverance is the key.