Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing and SInging

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rjb, Nov 10, 2002.

1. rjb

rjb

Nov 10, 2002
    Liverpool,UK
    i've been playing bass for just over a month now and have picked it up fast but i'm having one problem. When i sing whilst playing the bass i go out of time and always go wrong. Will i ever be able to sing and play or is it something that takes time?

Also what do u guys think of the hofner violin style bass'

2. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    It took me a little while to play and sing but I have a deep voice so I could harmonize easy. you'll get it just practice.
    I dont like Hofners though I'd get a gibson if you want something with humbuckers.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    there was a guy from England that sang and played a Hofner - he was pretty succesful with that...

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    TRY DOING A SEARCH, USING THE SUPER-NEAT SEARCH FUNCTION!
    This subject has been covered many dozens of times.

Also...

ALWAYS POST IN THE CORRECT FORUM(S)!
    Technique questions belong in the General Instruction or Technique forums and bass questions belong in the Basses forum.

Thanks and welcome to TalkBass!

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Sounds like Hategear's football team got beat today!

Take your time, practice, and love what you do. Remember, staying in time is the most important thing for you as a musician/bassist. Good luck!

Rob

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    TB had a bye-week. Maybe it's pigskin withdrawal :D !?

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I had trouble with this when I first started doing backing vocals. Practice, practice, practice!!!! I found I do it best when I don't have to think about the bassline I'm playing at the same time I'm singing. Basically I get it to the point that it's natural and almost second nature, that way I juts play the line and sing the lyrics without thinking about them.

WhenI try too hard and suddenly think about either, I usually mess up both!!!

I'm afraid there's noe easy way, it's just practice and perseveirance!

As for the Hofner Violin style bass - nope, I don't like 'em. But that just my opinion - there will bemany other's that like 'em, probably you too, as you've asked the question!