Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing arpeggios in different inversions.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Hi there,
    I was hoping one of you good people could help me - for some music theory work, I have to make a recording of me playing various chord arpeggios in different inversions. For example, GMaj7.

When I play the example, is it the 'done thing' to play the second octave?

e.g. (sorry for tab, just easier...)

- - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - 4 -
    - - - 2 - 5 - - -
    - 3 - - - - - - -

That covers the G (I), the B (III), the D (V), and the F# (VII), so if I'm playing that example, should I put the additional G on the D-string to complete the top of the voicing? This is bearing in mind that afterwards I have to play all the inversions.

To continue, am I right to play the inversions like the following?

- - - - - - -
    - - - - 4 - 5
    2 - 5 - - - -
    - - - - - - -
    First inversion GMaj7 arp.

- - 4 - 5 - -
    5 - - - - - -
    - - - - - - -
    Second inversion " " " " " " " ".

- - - - 4 - 7
    4 - 5 - - - -
    - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - -
    Third inversion " " " " " " " ".

So would that be correct? For the recording, I'm going up and then down, but it's a hell of a lot easier transcribing like that :)

So yeah, am I correct in playing it as I've written there?

Thanks for any help,

Mark.

2. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    For the arpeggio in root position, I wouln't play the top G, just play G-B-D-F#. This is because, when you're inverting the chord, you're basically taking the bottom note and bringing it an octave up. So the top G in root position would be redundant.

You other inversions are correct.