Playing at double-speed

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nil, Apr 21, 2002.

1. We filmed our 4th video on Sunday at a local bar...of course the director gets us to play the song in double-time (for slo-mo action).

Has anyone tried to play their music in double-time, while still trying to make it *look* coherent? We were miming to our track (thank gawd) but boy oh boy was it ever hard! Good thing they weren't filming closeups of our playing - hardly anyone managed to keep it together!

If playing speed metal is akin to this, then i'll stick to dub! :D
  2. Speed dub!!! That could be cool .Double time on most anything is tought unless you practice it at that speed.
  3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, I'm learning some Maiden so it's sixteenths at 150bpm :eek: in normal time
  4. theres a metallica song called damage inc. thats 210 bpm. burton played 16 notes in like less than 2 seconds.
  5. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i did that in a band i was in awhile ago....we just turned our amps and faked everything
  6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm getting dizzy just thinking about notes that fast. :eek:
  7. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........*braint fart*
  8. me and my drummer got bored jamming today playing this funky little thing we started, he just looked over and said "double time?" *funky nod from steve* our guitar player wondered what the hell we were doing, it was great though cause we both did it for like two measures and stopped, good times!

9. (cue big grin)
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Listen to some old Napalm Death - they apparently had some songs clocked at 450 bpm, and there are lots of bands around that are matching that speed.