1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing at Rogers Arena

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TheBassWizard1, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. My last thread on this forum got a really good response and everyone seemed to enjoy it, so I wanted to share a Vlog from a gig I did at Rogers Arena in Vancouver as well.

If any of you have been interested in seeing a behind the scenes look of a gig like this, feel free to check it out here:

Hope you guys enjoy the video and find it interesting/insightful or helpful in some way!

Much love, Marc

loopee, DirtDog, TheBear and 5 others like this.
  2. Nice, cool vid.

3. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Very cool! Never have been to Vancouver but it looks very glitzy and modern. One question, though, wouldn't it have been easier to carry a wireless for your bass, rather than deal with extra long cords?

TheBassWizard1 likes this.
  4. Yeah, Vancouver is an awesome city!

I usually prefer using a cable over wireless. It's more reliable and I've had issues with wireless such as interference, signal cutting out or even batteries failing.

A 20FT cable is usually enough for me for most situations, however, I didn't know beforehand that the amps were going to be behind the stage at this show and really far away from us. Had I known that this would've been the case, I probably would've considered taking my wireless with me.

Here's a clip from years ago when I used a wireless and the signal cut out after I did a bass spin :D:

DirtDog and dbase like this.
  5. Ganelin

Ganelin

Oct 25, 2013
    Next time you in Vancouver, let me know! Would be cool to hang out, we, locals, know places ;)

6. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Ah, so the house sound at a venue like that doesn't supply wireless units? Huh. Didn't appreciate that.

EDIT - neat video, definitely consider the GoPro Hero 5 Session as a stage and even headstock camera. Great fun, and it's really small so it won't be so bad on your headstock for a few clips. Sound quality for spoken word is also very nice.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  7. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Makes sense. I just mentioned the wireless when the sound guy told you that they kept the amps offstage, which required an extra long cable.

8. jelly6466

jelly6466

Sep 28, 2010
    Mass.
    awesome, thanks

9. I actually shot this entire video with the GoPro Hero 5 Black. I really want to get the Hero 5 Session next and am saving up for it, hopefully I can get one before the next tour run after the holidays.

I love the Hero 5 Black, but sometimes wish I had the session because it's a little more discreet and easier to mount on the headstock.

10. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Exactly. I may Ebay my Hero4 for exactly that reason. Did a gig with it on the headstock and a bit more neckdive than I wanted, but it does make for some fun photos!
    [​IMG]

11. Thanks for sharing Marc wish you continued success RTS

12. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Very cool video, thanks for sharing! I got a Hero 5 Black and am also saving up for the Session to have different angles (and because the Hero 5 on the end of my headstock is surprisingly heavy!). Did you use any external mics or is the audio there just from the GoPro?

13. Looks awesome!

I've done a couple gigs with my 4 on the headstock too and love how it looks, but it does feel heavy when you're playing and the neckdive is annoying. The Hero 5 Black is even heavier than the 4, so the Session would definitely be a much better option for headstock mounting.

14. I agree, the Hero 5 Black is way too heavy to mount on the headstock. It's doable, but not ideal if you're looking to use it for a whole gig. For my next setup I want to have the Hero 5 Black on top of my amp or on top of the side fills on stage to capture the stage and audience, and then a Hero 5 Session on the headstock.

The audio in the video is all from the GoPro Hero 5 Black. One of the cool things about the new 5 is that it has 3 mics in it and has an option to record raw audio, which saves the audio from all 3 mics separately and with no processing. So then in post you can choose which mic sounds best in each scene and apply your own processing (noise reduction, EQ, etc). The video file will still have the GoPro processing and will combine all 3 mics into one audio in whatever way it finds to be the best. But you'll still have the separate audio files in case you want to process the audio yourself, which is what I did.

TheBear likes this.
  15. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Very cool, thanks so much for the rundown!!