Playing Barefoot

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Basslice, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    I have recently emerged from gigging retirement and formed a roots-rock - classic band with some fellow aging rockers. I am the bass player and lead singer for this outfit. While I have sung background for many years, I have never assumed the frontman role. Playing bass while singing has slowly gotten better over the years and now carrying the full load has been challenging, but fun. I digress.

I had foot cramps last night after a full day of regular work followed by group practice. I shed my shoes and socks and for the first time ever I played barefoot. Call me crazy, but I felt both looser and more in the groove than ever before.

I will have to try this again to see if it was a fluke, but playing barefoot may the way for me to go. Anyone else have experience in this method?

Ken

2. In my experience as a part-time hippie, I'll attest to the wonders of barefootedness. Not so much for the tuxedo gigs, unfortunately.

3. Just watch for open grounds and hot mics (your lips + a cross-grounded mic=ZAP!) :scowl:

...or it might be a short reunion with music and a long-time spent looking at dirt.

GregC likes this.
  4. I started going barefoot(or at least socks)years ago, to feel the kick better. I'm so used to it now that I pretty much have to have the shoes gone.

5. masterfader87

masterfader87

Jan 18, 2010
    I don't feel right playing unless I can feel some carpet between my toes.
    The guys of SCI get funky barefoot

6. kevmoga

kevmoga

Jan 25, 2010
    Georgia
    Back in the day, Froggy from Goose Creek Symphony never wore shoes on stage.

7. I play my best in shorts, a t-shirt, and my fuzzy slippers. My guitarist is always trying to get us to wear matching stuff to look more rockabilly, and I need to remind him that my mojo is in the fuzzy slippers.

8. camiloochoa

camiloochoa

Nov 5, 2008
    NYC
    michael rhodes always plays barefoot.

9. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I ALWAYS have to be barefoot when playing. Or else I just feel too grounded, never open, can't really catch grooves with shoes. I dunno what it is.

10. jordy_on_bass

jordy_on_bass

Jul 6, 2010
    Australia
    I play death/thrash/groove metal bands - always rehearse barefoot. For that reason, I always wore thongs to practice (sandals for you yanks, no I don't wear wedgie-inducing underwear at all, let alone on my feet). Can relate to that more energetic feeling, had it too.

Playing gigs was a different story though. Mostly playing clubs and bars where there is usually a shoes-on policy and little bits of broken glass hidden by stage lighting lol.

Cheers,
    Jordan

11. phmike

phmike

Oct 25, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    95% of my practise is while barefoot. Going barefoot on stage is my next 'step' :cool: The king of laidback/relaxed, Jimmy Buffett, rarely wears shoes on stage.

12. Basslice

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    Yes, I can relate to this. I've played many a venue where the club is more like a war zone, broken glass, semi-exposed high voltage lines, and PA and monitor wiring that you trip over and such. I also have experience the lip-kiss of death to a microphone that was off-ground to my amp while holding my bass and gotten knocked on my ass. So I know how to be careful.

Your warning is well-advised.:eek:

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I love playing barefoot...but then again, I have an aversion to closed-toed footwear. I AM Californian! :p

14. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    barefoot all the way.

15. Basslice

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    I swear I remember seeing a picture of Sting playing barefoot back in his Police days...

16. Makes it easier to pick up slightly used gum and cigarettes on the beach too.

17. i love to play barefoot, but I use pedals, and switching them on/off barefoot does not work for me.

18. Julie Slick....paging Julie Slick...

19. A rubber backed carpet tossed under your bare feet is a good idea, and prevents what can be a "shocking experience."