Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing bas in church

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Lowner, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    We already have a guitar player in the church. he is also the "worship leader". I could be playing guitar but I dont sing that took me out of the mix so to speak. I was thinking of asking the pastor if i could play bass. the onething is there is no drummer.(I go to a pretty small church.) So how could I play bas if I dont have a drummer to lock into and does that mean I am the rhythm section?

2. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I'm gonna get flamed for this, I swear.

I'm assuming the leader is playing acoustic guitar. Don't play bass with an acoustic guitar unless you have a drummer. Don't do it. Don't. Unnecessary complication, my friend.

It'd probably be better if you played guitar along with him than if you just played bass along with him, IMHO.

Now, if you have a nice upright, then that's another story... but I just can't STAND the sound of an average electric bassist playing with an acoustic guitar.

Flame on. :bag:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I know what you are saying here. Just playing roots with an acoustic alone doesn't do much for me either. I tend to like a bassist that can move with the music rather than follow it.