Playing bas in church

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Lowner, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    We already have a guitar player in the church. he is also the "worship leader". I could be playing guitar but I dont sing that took me out of the mix so to speak. I was thinking of asking the pastor if i could play bass. the onething is there is no drummer.(I go to a pretty small church.) So how could I play bas if I dont have a drummer to lock into and does that mean I am the rhythm section?
  2. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    I'm gonna get flamed for this, I swear.

I'm assuming the leader is playing acoustic guitar. Don't play bass with an acoustic guitar unless you have a drummer. Don't do it. Don't. Unnecessary complication, my friend.

It'd probably be better if you played guitar along with him than if you just played bass along with him, IMHO.

Now, if you have a nice upright, then that's another story... but I just can't STAND the sound of an average electric bassist playing with an acoustic guitar.

Flame on. :bag:
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I know what you are saying here. Just playing roots with an acoustic alone doesn't do much for me either. I tend to like a bassist that can move with the music rather than follow it.