1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing bass and leading a band - Who do that in this forum?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bigou, Apr 21, 2010.

1. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    I play in a country-rock band (think Neil Young and Crazy Horse). I sing and play guitar. Our bassman leave and the two other bandmate want me to take bass and continue to sing. I play bass for a long time but never in a band (except for a couple of songs). Give me some advice to play AND sing if you can.

By the way I play a Musicman Stingray (transteal). I know, no pics, no bass... I will post asap.

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Practice. And then practice some more. For many years I did vocals and guitar in various bands. The first time I tried to sing and play bass I almost fell over. These days I can do both lead and backing vocals, but only with very straightforward and simple bass lines (ie no ghost notes and/or syncopation that I'd normally use to some extent). It took a fair amount of work though. Further evidence that guitar and bass are two different beasts.

3. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    Our song is full of simple bass lines. I try couple of songs and I think it's gonna work. But like you said I will need to practice. It's a great challenge but it's fun to learn something new. I'm agree guitar and bass are 2 different beast.