Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing bass and rhythm guitar at the same time:

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Casey C., Jun 4, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I'm just wondering if anyone has sucessfully modified the signal from their bass to sound like an electric guitar?

Heres my idea:

Take a bass, split the signal 2 ways. 1 is the bass and one will be the guitar. The bass goes into a bass rig of course and the guitar goes into a series of pitch shifters. 1 pitch shifter for the root note, 1 for the fifth and another one for the octave higher possibly. and eq may follow or come before the series of pitch shifters. after all that, I would like to have a crossover to filter out low frequencies to eliminate the sound of the bass. Following the Cross over will be the guitar rig.

Possible? How would it sound? Any idea?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It would probably be easier to get an eight string bass, and design pickups that focus on the octave string, and some that focus on the bass string and then modifying that signal.

Maybe a Midi pickup, I dont know much about these, but it wounds like a lot is possible with midi pickups and processors.

Peace
    Nick

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    that doesn't look like it's fun to play :(

4. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    It would be too hard to keep the string signals seperate.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not with piezos.

I already thought of that, but just thought it would be fun to say anyways.

Peace
    Nick

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why do you want to do this?

7. Get a rhythm guitarist, not hard to find at all, and it will free you up to do what you want. And the tracking for pitch shifters isn't perfect by any means, especially on lower frequencies.

8. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Why do I want to do this?

for shiggles really... I'm not in a band so I tend to think of things like this is you understand what is going on.

Also, the problem, I feel, with an octave bass is that if you want to play a chord with the guitar, you have to play it with the bass, unless you are pretty good at finger picking.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For playing chords and bass notes at the same time, a 7 or 8 string with individual strings is the best way to go.

To get a rhythm guitar/bass playing in unison sound, get a Hamer USA 12 string(or any other 12 with stereo outputs).

Run the bridge pickup through a guitar rig, complete with overdrive or distortion, and run the neck pickup through your bass amp.

If you ever seen Doug Pinnick play his Hamer 12 live, you will know what I am talking about.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Chapman Stick!

Peace
    Nick

11. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Any idea where I could get one of these guitar/basses? website?

Thanks alot. :)

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The 8-string fanned-fret job is Charlie Hunter's.

www.novaxguitars.com

Top 5 strings are the top 5 strings of a guitar; bottom three strings are the bottom three of a bass. Hunter runs each set of strings to separate rigs and sounds like a really good bassist and guitarist rolled into one.

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Nice Charlie Hunter Novax guitar. I have seen him play it and he seems to have no problems doing bass and guitar at the same time.
    http://www.novaxguitars.com/

Very expensive though.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Looks great fun to me - I would have one, if I could afford it!

I've seen people in the UK with similar custom-made jobs and they are about the most expensive things around!! You also need two sets of cabs - I've heard that Charlie Hunter uses EA cabs for the bass strings as well as his guitar amp/cab setup.

Nothing new though - been around for many years now!

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    when I saw Charlie Hunter he was using Eden cabs and amp for the bass side. Couldn't see the guitar side amp.

16. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Well actually I don't know it. I don't know if anyone here has heard of them or not, but there's a band called LOCAL H, that do exactly this. Theres only to people in the band, but I don't know exactly how it works. I do know that the guitarist/bassist/singer plays a guitar with guitar pickups and a bass humbucker pickup. He does something like: split the signal, send half to a guitar amp, the other half to a compressor then to a octaver then to some kind of signal processor, then to a bass amp. Thats my wild guess. I'm sure if you looked for how that guitarist does it, you'll find it easily.

17. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD