Playing bass in a wheelchair?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Mar 11, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    By this i mean is it possible to play being paraplegic?Is it possible? Its been plaguing my mind for a while. I mean, sure you couldnt headbang (or could you?) but you couldnt tap your feet in time.

Does anyone do this (suffer from a disease and have to play in a wheel chair) or do you know of anyone that does? Cheers
  2. I don't tap my feet in time anyway. I think that with either a short strap or a well-balanced bass, it would be just like playing sitting down--most wheelchairs have collapsible arms.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    There was a Seattle bass player / Stick player named Scott Wedel who was in a regularly gigging band, who played in a wheelchair. I haven't heard from him in a couple years, his MS flared up and he had to take time off from playing :( last I heard. Anywhoo, I don't know much detail about how he played the bass in the char, but it seemed to work fine.

Ah, here's his web page:
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  5. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I know a guy who plays Gu*&ar in a wheelchair. He has no problems. One hell of a gu*&ar player too.
  6. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I also know a guy who plays guitar in a wheelchair. He's got a special chair that doesn't have armrests. It's basically just a small stool with wheels.
  7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There is a tremendous bass player from Chicago who also uses a wheelchair. You should really check out his playing. He is a world class player and a great teacher

Scott Pazera
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Does he sign "beaver" on the check?
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was gonna post about this a while ago, but I forgot to do it. I was really wondering about this too. I mean, if I was in a wheelchair, I'd still play.
  11. Gee Gard, you get paid for having all that fun?
    BTW, one of my customers called in to BC, and got helped by Glasshoppah, of whom he had nothing but praise.
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

.....I could tell you his real name, but then I'd have to kill you...

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars FUN!!!! :confused:

I have fun???

Oh yeah, I do!

14. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I have a friend with Spina Bifida, and in a wheelchair, who plays the acoustic guitar. And I don't see why someone wouldn't be able to play the bass as well. The first thing that comes to mind is a question of strength, whether the person has the upper body strength to support himself with the instrument, but then you think about it: if this person (such as my friend) pushes himself around in a wheelchair all day he must have upper-body strength and muscles in his arms.

And just because someone can't tap his foot in time shouldn't hinder the person from playing the instrument.

Heh, I've been told that if I should ever become pregnant (uh oh scary thought LOL :eek: :D) that I'd probably have to use a wheelchair because my legs may not be able to bare all that extra weight. That's not gonna stop me from playing bass! :D
  15. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    one of my chiefs on the tennessee went to high school in savannah with the beav...they were on the wrestling team together. ain't that sumthin'? i think he was a senior when kevin (wyndham) got into high school.

it can be done...beaver is a helluva player
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dig it ... Beaver's 'chair matches his bass ... or vice-versa.
  17. ummm....on the first thread, you asked if a parapalegic could play bass. Umm....parapalegics dont have legs or no they couldent. But someone with 2 arms (useable of corse) could, no matter what.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Paraplegics most certainly do have arms and legs, they just have limited use and/or feeling in some of their limbs, and sometimes total paralysis.

Are you thinking of amputees, perhaps?
  19. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    What Jeff said. Also, paraplegics have lost the use of their legs; quadriplegics have lost the use of all four limbs. It might be that the former might have use of their legs but not their arms, too, I'm not sure.

edit: spelling (what you see here is correct :) ), also, paraplegic specifically refers to the legs / lower body.
  20. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    Well I posted this at another spot, but this seems a good place. I lost a leg three years ago due to diabetes. I was in the middle of doing a recording project for a local song writer when it happened. When I got out of the hospital, the song writer called and asked if I was interested in finishing the recording. He wasn't happy with any of the bass players he hired to finish it. So a week out of the hospital I was in the studio, in my wheelchair when I realized, the leg amputated was my tapping leg. I felt so weird at first.
    I finished the recording, but didn't play out again until I got a new leg. I still have troubles, so I sit on stool now when I play. Gets me out of setting up gear though.

I need a peg leg, that be cool