Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing Bass on a Guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by EternalDarkness, Oct 9, 2004.

1. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    Is there any ways of playing some Bass on a Guitar? :D

It would be cheaper :bassist: as I already got a Squier Strat Guitar,

If I play the lowest 6th string on the guitar, I can get some deep tones, if I detune it slightly it gets even deeper.

I know that on a 4 string bass, the thinnest string is thinner than the 6th fat guitar string, and the 2nd thinnest bass string is exactly the same size as the fat guitar string?

I was wandering if there's any other tips on how to play Bass on Guitar ;) and what are recommendations for detuning, etc. :hyper:

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    detuning isn't going to help. Bass's low range is two octaves (correct?) above guitar's lowest range. And you'll be detuning to the point where the strings fall off. Trade the guitar for a cheap bass. A Squier, or SX.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I fixed the one part I DO know. You said it was above guitars range.

4. one octave below.

5. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    yep, its true that if you detune the string a bit too much, you can't hear it, and it gets way too loose.

When I detuned the lowest string by around 2 notes down, it wasn't too loose, and I could some light Bass notes :) :bassist:

I'll never sell the Squier Strat though.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You could always did what the Presidents of the United Stated of America did. Put some bass strings on that thing.

7. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    I was thinking the same thing, but the problem is that the bass strings gauge is too thick and won;t fit into the slots? and groove
    :(

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, you probably will have to mod it, but if you are looking to mix it up a bit, you'll have to expect that.

9. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    yep I thought I'd have to mod it.

Also, I never heard of the band "The Presidents of United States" are there any pictures on the net of the guitar with bass strings? :)

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  11. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    sweet :) thanks man :cool:

12. No, that's not correct. Every bass string is bigger than the Low E on a guitar.

13. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    AH, never knew that :( sorry

Also I was wandering do any of you know which "Settings" I should use on my fenderfrontman 15G amp to try and get A Bassy sound? should I put full (10) bass, but how much middle and how much treble do I put? should I put no Middle? and 1/2 treble?

I know the best pickup switch to use on my Squier Strat Guitar,

It's the middle switch position , this gives a tone that isn't too muddy, but has quite a lot of depth.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get a different amp. That frontman is minimally adequate at best. I used to sell, them, and you would need something better to produce any sort of good low end.

15. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Actually, it depends on the guages you are buying for both instruments. It is easily possible to have bass strings that have a thinner G string than the low E for a guitar.

16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yup. My bass has a .045 G string, and my guitars have .052 low Es. But whatever. Check out Hendrix's "Red House" to hear a guitar playing "bass".

17. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    sweet :)

I listened to Red House, did Jimi use a normal electric guitar with no special bass strings?

looks promising :cool:

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The four string bass guitar is one octave below the guitar.

19. Just buy a bloody bass.

20. glydebass

glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    just do what Mark Hoppus does. Get an octave pedal and go at it. He plays "bass" on a Fender Strat if im not mistaken.